opinions on the best pair of PA cabs for under $1000 ?

• Members

Just curious .... I'm examining my options here ...

I've got a decent amp, getting a decent mixer ... just don't have decent speakers (the horn in one started crakling last night). Money is a concern, but at the same time, I want something that will last.

The power amp I have will do 280watts per side at 8 ohms,

430 at 4 ohms, 700 at 2 ohms, or 1400 bridged at 4 ohms.

• Members

I may be a bit biased because I am stillin awe about my recent purchase, but for just over $1000 I got a pair of Yorkville NX600's. Your amp will probably work pretty well with them (at 300 W RMS) provided there is some sort of limiting in place.

The U15's are about $1800 for a pair- trust me I was going to ge tthem, but definately a bit too pricey for me

I couldn't be happier with the NX600's though

But - How many people and what size venue are talking about? 280W is not a lot these days

• Members

Venue size would be the size of the places that don't have a house PA setup basically. I couldn't tell you square footage, but I'd say 25 - 100 people. I just want the band to sound full, balanced and lively.

I figgured that I should look into a pair of full range 8 ohm cabs that could handle 500 - 600 watts so that I could bridge the amp and run the cabs parallel to get the most out of both components.

...but I'm really just learning as I go along here

Archived