power -- impedance calculations with the square root of 2 ?

• Members

Maybe I'm nuts, but I swore I read a long time ago that you used 1.414 when doing a calculation with the impedance to find your actuall wattage?

I remember something like "Suppose you have an amp that puts out 100 watts at 4 ohms and you decide to hook up an 8 ohm load. To find the wattage dissipated with 8 ohms, you would divide 100 by 1.414."

And you would divide by 1.414 for each time the impedance doubled. So if it were 16 ohms, you'd divide by (1.414)^2

Am I nuts, or is that a true statement?

• Members

Power is simply I x V, which with Ohm's law yields the other forms like V**2/R, I**2R etc. Since R is a linear term (not squared) then the power is related linearly (and inversely) to it, so double the resistance and you half the power.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

so double the resistance and you half the power.

ok ... that makes more sense, because I did look at the voltage, current, impedance equations recently, and that is what I deduced as well ... twice the resistance = 0.5 the power

It was a long time ago in an article in a guitarworld magazine ... I must have confused it with something else then.

But this brings up another question.

My power amp is power rated like this per channel in stereo:

@2 ohms = 700 watts

@4 ohms = 450 watts

@8 ohms = 280 watts

Why is the power not reduced by 1/2 each time the resistance is doubled?

• Members

Originally posted by Gravity

@2 ohms = 700 watts

@4 ohms = 450 watts

@8 ohms = 280 watts

And it's a good question too!

In theory, it would behave as you guessed, but non-linearities in the amplifier, plus limitations in the power supply (transformer impedance mostly) combine to cause the non-theoritical results you see in the specs.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Gravity

ok ... that makes more sense, because I did look at the voltage, current, impedance equations recently, and that is what I deduced as well ... twice the resistance = 0.5 the power

It was a long time ago in an article in a guitarworld magazine ... I must have confused it with something else then.

@2 ohms = 700 watts

@4 ohms = 450 watts

@8 ohms = 280 watts

Layperson's understanding here:

In addition to what Andy said, generally those maximum wattage specs are qualified by the THD limitation cut-off point for the tests.

This is where folks get into trouble "the amp only puts out 1000 watts in bridge/mono at 4 ohms".... well that might be true if the test determined the maximum wattage output not to exceed 0.1% THD. At +6dB above clip the power output might be considerably higher (breifly).

Archived