vox routing possible with inserts?

• Members

Hi, simple question really, just thought i'd ask the pros. I want to run the lead vox through the mixer for a dry channel and then out to an effects processor for comp/gate/etc, so i can mix both channels in the mains and put the dry in the foldback mix. However, the board is kinda small and i dont want to use the aux bus for this application... can i do it somehow using the insert points out back into line in or something? just looking for a way to pull it off, Thanks.

• Members

you can use any post fade send, either an aux, subgroup, direct out, etc.

If you feel lucky, and depending on the console, you can make an adapter that will take the signal out of the insert jack to the fx unit.

Run the output of the fx unit back into a separate channel and your ready to blend.

• Members

Originally posted by Brad Harris

you can use any post fade send, either an aux, subgroup, direct out, etc.

If you feel lucky, and depending on the console, you can make an adapter that will take the signal out of the insert jack to the fx unit.

Run the output of the fx unit back into a separate channel and your ready to blend.

Note... you will need to use the "mix/blend" control on the effects processor to blend effects to the dry signal.

This will also work only on the one channel. This can also work with subgroups if your mixer supports that and has an insert point.

• Members

Originally posted by Brad Harris

cool, this is what i had in mind. Thanks for the other ideas guys, my mixer just has minimal routing options and i wanted to see if i could save my sub and aux sends, i also wanted to be able to blend, so it may need to be pre-fade... i'll keep messing with it, maybe bust out a soldering iron and make me an adapter. thanks

• Members

Just plug in like normal and compress the subgroup, this will leave the uncompress signal for your wedges. Are you using a dedicated compressor vs a multi FX unit? Usually the multi units are a PITA to program compression on. Stay away from gating vox too, it can lead to some pretty unnatural sounds.

p

• Members

Originally posted by AlienLogik

cool, this is what i had in mind. Thanks for the other ideas guys, my mixer just has minimal routing options and i wanted to see if i could save my sub and aux sends, i also wanted to be able to blend, so it may need to be pre-fade... i'll keep messing with it, maybe bust out a soldering iron and make me an adapter. thanks

Sorry, I didn't quite get your question this morning, but it is possible. What you need to do is to wire the TRS (assuming TRS insert point), the send and return together, therefore continuing the signal w/in the console, and sending out to the fx unit. NOTE THIS IS NOT AN INSERT CABLE.

Or you can use an insert cable, and as AgedHorse said, use the mix control on the fx unit (wet/dry) to adjust the amount of fx. NOTE This will go through the monitors.

• Members

yeah, thanks bradharris.... that was the plan, i guess i just didnt know if i could have two connections on the out of the 'insert' cable, wiring one to input to close the loop on the first mic channel and sending it off to another channel. that way i'll be able to blend in wet/dry vocals on the spot via the board instead of the fx unit... since i mix from stage this should be much easier, plus i'll have a dry channel to sent to foldbacks. Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

Just plug in like normal and compress the subgroup, this will leave the uncompress signal for your wedges. Are you using a dedicated compressor vs a multi FX unit? Usually the multi units are a PITA to program compression on. Stay away from gating vox too, it can lead to some pretty unnatural sounds.

p

It's not just the compression, the fx unit(s) are a tc voiceworks and sometimes an 1176, and i dont want all that reverb/delay/comp/limit/doubling/harmony/etc stuff in the vocal monitors as the GBF is already kinda shady. I like to sometimes use a little gate, just for guitar solos and stuff, most of the time the vox mic channel stays open so there is no aborted breath sounds or anything.

Yeah, setting comp on the voiceworks isnt the easiest thing, i just basically copy the settings i like off a stand alone comp and tweak a little from there.

thanks

J

Archived