Protect PA / Voltage Regulators?

• Members

Does anyone have any advice on what type of voltage regulators (How many) would be needed to run a PA system consisting of: two 1300 watt Mackie SA1232's; Two Makie 1801 Subwoofers; and About four Mackie 450's as monitors? Can I run all of them through one 15 or 20 amp Voltage Regulator? Would I need something other than that? Thanks for the advice.

• Members

You will find that a proper voltage regulator that will not oscillate under a dynamic load like an audiuo amplifier (and also work as advertised) will cost you more than the amp will.

Amplifiers do not need voltage regulators, and in fact can be harmed by the average regulator.

• Members

Originally posted by Ear Abuser

Look up the current draw in the manuals and add them up- remember you aren't going to be running this stuff at 100% of output power.

I thought the same thing and pulled up the manuals online only to discover that Mackie doesn't appear to even list any power consumption criteria for their powered speakers. Regardless, it would appear that the sample rig would require at least two 20A circuits.

D

Archived