Allen Heath PA12CP mixer problem, ideas?

• Members

Hi, i have a pa12cp (a dual 500w powered mixer, which is pretty damn cool when its working properly) and am currently having a bit of a problem with one of the amps. The left channel amp's limiter is kicking in when i just barely send any signal to it, while the right one is fine. The master fader is also freaking out a little bit, up around -5 to 0db it starts to short out or cancel out the left channel, if you nudge the fader to the left the channel kicks back on and sometimes then the right channel goes off... im reasonably savvy with electronics, just wondering if theres anything i should try, i sent this question to tech support too... Thanks, J

• Members

Two things to check...

#1... be sure you do not have a short in the speaker cable or speaker. This is the number 1 cause of the limiter light turing on so prematurely.

#2... verify that you are not operating in bridged mode and that you are using the proper outputs. Your description of the main fader hints that this could be the problem.

Does the power amp operate properly with no speakers plugged into the mixer-amp? If so, then it's probably (though not definately) load related.

• Members

thanks for the tips, the connections are fine, the outputs are the only two speaker outs on the mixer, its not capable of running in briged mono mode as far as i can tell. When the amps are in standby mode (ie no signal to output/no speakers plugged in) the limiter still comes on in the same fashion. I even re-checked the cables today, they use speakons and arent shorting or broken anywhere. Its starting to sound like the amp may have more serious problems, although i could be missing something elementary too. Any other ideas would be much appreciated, or if you need to know anything else about how its set up. Thanks

J

• Members

Try it without the speakers plugged in. Could be a shorted x-over part or a shorted L.F. driver voice coil too.

Try the known good speaker and cable in each channel independently (with the suspect one unplugged. Do you get proper operation with this speaker in both channels?

It could be a bad power amp also, but not AS likely as a bad load.

• Members

no dice on channel without speakers and when using the known good one independantly. The 'bad' amp's signal light doesnt light up like the signal light on the good amp and the limiter is basically on from the get go (i think the power on transient trips it, cause if i start up in amp bypass mode and then switch amps on with volume down the limit doesnt light until i try to put something through it). The thing isnt that old, (a yearish) shouldnt be shot already.... oh well, maybe it is... can i run the amps both on and just put signal through the right channel, daisy chaining my two speakers as a stop gap measure until i get it looked at (w/o hurting the amp i aint using)?

thanks again

J

Archived