Bi-amp1642 ps cable anyone?

• Members

Cleaning out stuff here and ran across an old Biamp 1642 "Professional mixing console" in a nice Calzone case. Circa 1980.

PS cable was long lost. Anybody have a spare?

Or, anyone want this thing? Nice construction with vertical channel bds, balanced xformer inputs, long faders.

• Members

Did the 1642 use an external power supply?

I tossed all my Biamp service information a few years ago... they were a cool company with several really decent products. Unfortunately, they were unable to change with the times and moved into the Audia line of fixed install stuff. Very odd mix of products and features IMO.

I don't recall Biamp using any transformer balanced inputs, their circuit of choice was the standard differential input amp using NE5532's or 5534's (depending on age). They were a good sounding product compared to other product of it's time. Still can be (very) acceptable sounding if the feature set and condition suits the needs. A good going over should be all it takes, and the case is a bonus.

The PSU cables for the Biamp products that used an external supply were all pin-for-pin cables, nothing crossed that I remember of. Should be a pretty easy part to make or source.

• Members

Yep. Ext PS. Lots of conductors on a strange connector.

+and - rails for opamps, +48 phantom, maybe lamp power what else? There must be a dozen pins. ??

Each chan card has a round "jensen" type xformer up front.

Case foam is dust.

Might make a nice install board. Pretty big. Lots-O-space in there though.

• Members

They are (look to be) a factory install on each input pcb near the xlr. Best I could see, without removing the card, the xlr was hardwired to the xformer which was soldered to trace.

I removed the bottom out of curiosity and to see if all those ps connector pins were used. I never expected to find input transformers.

Also, the faders are NOT mounted to the pcbs. Nice.

Manufacture date sticker inside read 1979.

I may have another look this week if I get to it. I'm even more curious now.

• Members

The 1642 was an interesting and reasonably good attempt at a high quality mid-priced console of the time. It could be a good deal for someone willing to re-foam the case and do a little TLC.

Didn't that one have a red and green LED input meter (signal & O/L) on each channel, 4 subgroups, 4 band fixed eq and led output meters?

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

The 1642 was an interesting and reasonably good attempt at a high quality mid-priced console of the time. It could be a good deal for someone willing to re-foam the case and do a little TLC.

Didn't that one have a red and green LED input meter (signal & O/L) on each channel, 4 subgroups, 4 band fixed eq and led output meters?

Thats it but, with nice big VU output meters.

Wish I had a ps cable to check it out.

Good source for case foam?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Dan Magers

Cleaning out stuff here and ran across an old Biamp 1642 "Professional mixing console" in a nice Calzone case. Circa 1980.

PS cable was long lost. Anybody have a spare?

Can you post a picture of the panel jacks?

How many pins are involved? I've seen boards where folks have changed out the odd-ball Cannon multipins for NL-8's (or similar common connector).

Archived