If a mixing board gets too hot ...?

• Members

On my Crest Vs series amps, I run a jumper between the two negative screws on the terminal strip on the back of the amp, and a jumper between the two postive screws, to tie the two channels together. That way I can bring in just one signal from a mono board or from a mono EQ, and it is tied into both channels of the amp. Plug one speaker into one channel of the amp, and another speaker into another channel on the amp.

• Members

Now we're talkin'.

Let me make sure I understand. So if I run jumpers like you just described, I can plug one into just one channel of the power amp, but I can connect both speakers into the power amp (instead of plugging one in and then daisy chaning the other)?

B. Adams. Hey, yeah I THOUGHT I had a switch for parallel inputs. But so far all that switch seems to do is turn the fan on. So I leave it at whatever setting will get the fan moving.

• Members

Yes, you just plug the signal into one of the inputs on the amp, and the jumpers will take it over to the other channel. Kind of like a hardwired y-cord. Additionally, if you have more power amps, you can now use the second, unused input jack to put in a jumper cable to jump the same signal to another power amp.

• Members

BTW, I am suspicious that switch that is operating the fan was a user modification. I have three of those amps, and none of them have that.

There is a push-button switch between the two inputs, for switching between stereo and bridged mode. I am in the camp that believes in NEVER using bridged mode unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

• Members

Yeah, I'm baffeled by this switch as well.

The owner manual describes the push button of which you speak. But there's no push button back there. It's just a switch.

Originally, I figured the switch had the same function as the push-button described in the manual.

But all I can tell you is last time I tinkered with it, the ONLY difference between having the switch up & down was when I flipped it up, the fan turned on. When I flipped it down, the fan turned off.

EDIT:

I bought the amp used. So it DEFINITELY could have been modded by the original owner. Why on earth would someone mod it for a fan on/off switch, though???

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Be absolutely sure you understand that the jumper wires described go on the INPUT terminal blocks and NOT ON THE OUTPUT SPEAKER BINDING POSTS or you will be finding out for yourself how expensive an amp repair is.

DEFINITELY!

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

Or, if they were just listening to quiet music, and didn't want the destraction of a loud fan.
;)

Yeah, 'cause that fan is so damned loud! :D

Let's weigh the options ... run the power amp w/o the fan causing it to go into thermal protection and shut down ... or struggle to hear the music over the god-awful noise of that fan. Decisions, decisions.

Archived