Adding Compression and Gate to FOH mix

• Members

We're in the process of revamping our PA setup looking at several ways to add compression and gate to a live FOH mix.

We currently mic 12 channels on a 16 channel board. Most rooms we play have between 100-400 capacity and we bring the PA. Two Crown CE 2000's power a set of JBL MR825's and JRX18's subs. We're currently using a Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer which we will replace with likely an A&H Mix Wiz 16:2. The question is adding some gate to the drums and compression to the lead vox for the FOH mix. Should we get seperate units for each. :ast week I held off replacing our crossover with a Samson Crossover with built in gate and compression (the combination of Samson reputation along with an intergrated unit told me there might be better options).

We'd also like to add bit of reverb to the vocal channels ... I know the Mix Wiz has internal FX... just wondering if there is a better option.

• Members

I cannot imagine any possible reason to gate your house mix.

However some decent gates on toms and kick can help to clean up your house mix, as can some decent compression, if used properly.

The two major keys are decent gear and the knowledge to use it properly.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

The question is adding some gate to the drums and compression to the lead vox for the FOH mix. Should we get seperate units for each. We'd also like to add bit of reverb to the vocal channels ... I know the Mix Wiz has internal FX... just wondering if there is a better option.

I would go with separate gate and compressor units for each patched into their corresponding channel inserts.

The MixWiz internal effects offer quite a few operating options. 'Single' mode gives you 16 presets from Aux 5 sends. 'Dual' mode gives you 8 presets from Aux 5 and an independent 8 presets from Aux 6. For example, in single mode you could use the internal effects from Aux 5 and route an external effects unit from Aux 6, while in dual mode you could have independent reverb and echo using Aux 5 and Aux 6 from the internal processor.

Both internal effects engines mix to LR via the ST1 return channel. At the same time you can patch an external effects unit into the ST1 input jacks to mix with the internal effects. This gives you three effects devices mixing through the ST1 channel. Alternatively, you could turn off the internal effects and use Aux 5, Aux 6 and ST1 with external units, nothing wasted.

One other point... the MixWiz is loaded with default presets to give you a reasonable starting point. You can change these by connecting a PC via MIDI running the A&H WZ Effects Editor software (free download). These changes can overwrite the default settings if you prefer.

If you can, get a demo and have a listen to the effects before commiting to spending more on external units at this stage.

Hope that helps,

Carey (MixWiz designer)

Archived