SM57 dead on arrival :(

• Members

...and yes, it was from ebay :(

Sold as new, I tried it out with a powered mixer today and discovered that there was no output whatsoever. Channel works fine with another mic but the 57 wouldn't produce the faintest of sounds with both gain/volume controls maxed out. Didn't even make a popping noise when I attached the cable.

I havn't filled in the warrenty yet, should I consult the company(I think its a company...) I bought it from, contact Shure directly, or is there anything you suggest I try fixing first? The capsule seems to be connected to the body of the mic properly, and moving the wires didn't make any scratchy noises that might indicate a dodgy connection. Havn't tried removing the XLR connector yet to see whats going on there.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Steve.

• CMS Author

If it's new and the seller is a Shure dealer, they should provide a replacement this early in the game. If not, Shure's warranty will cover it, and if by chance you've been truly had and it's used (serial # was registered by someone else....fat chance), Shure has a flat rate repair charge of, what is it now? $55 I think.

Yup, contact the seller.

Archived