Yorkville Excursion Systems - Anyone Using It?

• Members

Anybody using this set-up?

Does the 2000 (1 18" sub/dual 12" satelittes) package perform adequately for a bunch o'geezers playing classic rock (plan to mic everything)?

We are not loud by rock standards and primarily play pubs, bars and private parties - 75 to 250 max.

We need to upgrade our mains and I like the idea of an all-in-one solution offering quick set-up/tear down, a relatively small footprint and a compact loading package.

I don't think we need to get into dual 18 subs etc etc for the sound levels and size of places we play but would still like "full freq" reinforcement.

Our other option is a pair of Yorkie NX750's which obviously are better boxes as stand alone mains but may not offer the same omphh of the sub offered witht he Excursion system. Space-wise they'd seem to occupy the same space in the minivan.

Cost wise the Excursion system would be a couple hundred bones more expensive than the NX's.

Thoughts?

• Members

We have sold an EX2 system to a customer of our's. He is using it to DJ smaller wedding receptions and has been very happy with it.

However, for live use, I would recommend going with separate powered speakers for more versatility, increased reliability, and easier expandability. My recommendation would be two NX55P tops with one or more LS700P or LS800P subs depending upon transporatation space constraints and the amount of low end desired. With the separates based system you can easily move the NX55P's to monitors or add more subs if you want to expand the system. Also, each cabinet has it's power built-in, increasing redundancy and reliability across your sound system.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Jeff

• Members

We have sold a bunch of these but mostly to DJ's, however a couple of bands have employed them with success. not going to rip the house down but does a good job keeping up with a mild volume band.... IMO much better than any powered mixer solution.

If you want more bang and bump....i'd go to the NX's over the LS800P and you certainy will have plenty of gas

• Members

Our small system is NX550P over LS700P. I just can't say enough good things about it. Suitable for 200 people in your typical strip mall bar. Not the cheapest solution, but not the most expensive either. Easy set up. "Carable" subs that can be carried by one person yet still deliver respectable punch. We typically DO NOT max out the subs. That said, we don't bring a knife to a gun fight either. If we need the bigger system we bring it (EV QRX based with 4-6 subs).

It took some looking, but I was able to find a pair of the subs and mains used and saved about 40% over new. I bought a pair of the mains new as well, to use as monitors. With 2 members using IEM's it allows the ENTIRE PA to fit in my Honda CRV:

- 2 LS700P

- 4 NX550P

- 1 A&H Mixwiz WZ2 16:2 in a case

- 1 50 ft 16 x 8 snake

- 1 6U FOH rack (CD player, 6 ch compression/gate, 2x15 EQ)

- 1 4U vocal rack (harmonizer, IEM's, Wireless mic, 1x31 EQ)

- 2 speaker poles

- 1 mic stand

- 1 large duffle bag with cabling

- 1 large tool box with mics & various other gadgets

- 1 collapsable hand truck

- 1 occupant (that's me)

- Occasionally a Soundtech PS802 amp and Cerwin Vega 12" monitor wedge. This is pushing capacity though.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

- 2 LS700P

- 4 NX550P

- 1 A&H Mixwiz WZ2 16:2 in a case

- 1 50 ft 16 x 8 snake

- 1 6U FOH rack (CD player, 6 ch compression/gate, 2x15 EQ)

- 1 4U vocal rack (harmonizer, IEM's, Wireless mic, 1x31 EQ)

- 2 speaker poles

- 1 mic stand

- 1 large duffle bag with cabling

- 1 large tool box with mics & various other gadgets

- 1 collapsable hand truck

- 1 occupant (that's me)

- Occasionally a Soundtech PS802 amp and Cerwin Vega 12" monitor wedge. This is pushing capacity though.

Wow, all that fits in a Honda CRV? How do you secure everything so it does'nt go flying off just in case you brake hard all of a sudden?

V.

• Members

Originally posted by gruvjack

Wow, all that fits in a Honda CRV? How do you secure everything so it does'nt go flying off just in case you brake hard all of a sudden?

V.

If I were in an accident it probably wouldn't be pretty, but I do what I can and it's snug for the ride. Can't see a damn thing out the back, but make sure both mirrors are unobstructed. HERE ARE SOME PICS

- I leave the back seats upright and subs, 2 mains, mixer and duffle are back there

- 2 mains seatbelted in back seat,

- poles and mic stands on floor behind back seat

- Vocal rack wedged between driver seat and back seat

- FOH rack loose between mains in back seat, but it's a tight fit that rubs agains front seat.

- hand cart on passenger seat floor secured by dashboard and seat

- tool box loose in front passenger seat.

• Members

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Yes I think a modular approach would be the most flexible.

I like the NX series due to the weight savings.

I think we'd be better off with one LS800P rather than a pair of LS700's - cost and size/weight wise.

I'm curious as to why the recommended mains would be the NX55P.

I had thought of the NX750's only because they would seem to be the better stand alone boxes when we are playing really small pubs with small/no stage area and the sub is staying at home.

I looked at the spec's and the 12" 55's have a lower frequency response than the 15's in the 750's - ?????

The 750 are about 100 bucks and 20lbs more each.

Would the 55's cut it as stand alones for vocal and maybe some light guitar re-inforcement when we play those small 75 person pub type gigs?

• Members

Originally posted by roccoboy

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I think we'd be better off with one LS800P rather than a pair of LS700's - cost and size/weight wise.

I'm curious as to why the recommended mains would be the NX55P.

I had thought of the NX750's only because they would seem to be the better stand alone boxes when we are playing really small pubs with small/no stage area and the sub is staying at home.

I looked at the spec's and the 12" 55's have a lower frequency response than the 15's in the 750's - ?????

The 750 are about 100 bucks and 20lbs more each.

Would the 55's cut it as stand alones for vocal and maybe some light guitar re-inforcement when we play those small 75 person pub type gigs?

I personally prefer the NX55P to the 750P, the NX55P will handle everything, even a little kick. (if you never planned to have subs - i'd say go with the 750P) with the LS800P (which does have wheels) the NX55P's will do quite well doing the full kit at rock volume!

• Members

Originally posted by roccoboy

Indeed they will "cut it". And, as mentioned, you can even put a little kick in there to and it will do a pretty good job. I was very surprised when we had to use them in a pinch without the subs. Just use common sense. These speakers have darn good output before the "warning lights" start to flicker. If you see anything start to flash on the back of the box, back off a bit. So if ithe kick is making it light up, take it down a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

Indeed they will "cut it". And, as mentioned, you can even put a little kick in there to and it will do a pretty good job. I was very surprised when we had to use them in a pinch without the subs. Just use common sense. These speakers have darn good output before the "warning lights" start to flicker. If you see anything start to flash on the back of the box, back off a bit. So if ithe kick is making it light up, take it down a bit.

The limiting system is multi tiered, so the yellow light will flash even a little of compression/limiting is engaged, so if you ad an instrument (like kick) you will mostly engage just the sub filter which low passes under 40hz....you wouldnt even hear that....then the limiter would kick in and finally a sensitivity (volume) ajustment is made just to the offending freq band. all that without limiting the horn! ....so you can really beat the crap out of them without clipping them.....and not even notice the limiting! My point is -dont be afraid of the yellow light, unless its staying on all the time.......

• Members

Thanks.

My point was that the system puts out pretty high SPL before the lights even start to flicker. I notice the yellow limit light comes on sometimes when I get into it vocally. That's about the only time though. We pass them with the on board 100 Hz since we have the 700P's under them.

As far as the processing first cutting 40Hz I don't understand. They actively are cutting anything under 60 Hz by default. It "says so" on the back of the cabinet and when I RTA'd the 550P's it was confirmed. The pics below illustrate this. The first one is uncorrected. The second is after I corrected with a 31 band EQ. In both cases you can see there's a huge drop off after 60 HZ

266962.jpg

266943.jpg

• Members

all-in-one solution offering quick set-up/tear down, a relatively small footprint and a compact loading package.

I think we'd be better off with one LS800P rather than a pair of LS700's - cost and size/weight wise

Actually, I think you'd find 2 ls700p's a bit easier to maneuver than one ls800p. Much smaller footprint per box that can be efficiently loaded/stacked/maneuvered one at a time into a normal vehicle (vs. a large van etc.) Plus you could use just one ls700p for smaller gigs, and maybe add the second ls700p for the bigger gigs. This will save your back maybe half the time you use your PA.

If you looked at the pictures within the link Abzurd posted above, he is using a very handy item for moving gear called the Rock N Roller Cart (model R6 I believe). Folds right up and fits well with gear in a car. I own one as well and it has been a god send for longer humps from the car to the stage.

Archived