success story (long)

• Members

The boys had a gig last night (four high school kids) and one of the dads usually runs their sound but was out of town. The day before my son told my wife that I was running the sound.

Now I have been a technical advisor over the past couple years, meaning I repeat pretty much verbatim what I'm told on this forum, but I wasn't even sure which button to push for an aux send or a subgroup.

Back to last summer for a minute. They had recorded a CD and had a release party. Their sound was their Behringer MX3282 mixer into a Peavey 600C powered mixer amp section running both a pair of JBL JRX115s mains and yorville nx20s as monitors. They miced vocals, kick and used a line6 pod emulator for the bass. They play well and sounded bad.

I talked them into trading the 115s for a pair of JBL MP412s. I bought a pair of srx718s. I found (all used) a dbx rossover, a plx 2404 for the monitors and a 3204 - one channel for the subs and the other for the 412s (mono). My son and I decided they needed some effects after a show this fall. Found a tc electronics M1XL and an old symetrix comp and split the gear with the mixer power supply in two 6u racks.

• Members

The building was an old small church building (used for youth services and groups) about 25x60ft with carpeting eight or so couches and fabric wall hangings with a snake running from the "stage" to an upstairs in the back. The day before they found the speaker cables were all 1/4" so they needed adaptors to connect to their speakons, but got the amps and board hooked up.

We weren't able to get in the building until 5pm for a 7:30 start. They miced both guitars, two toms, kick, two vocals with line level inputs from two keys and the bass pod. About 6:30 I was seriously panicked as we had no decent sound from vocals and the monitors were messed up. Then I remembered to pan all the inputs left as we were just using only the left channel output and pushed the pre button for the aux sends (couldn't figure out why the levels kept changing) and we were OK.

The drummer had complained last show so I had one aux send to his monitor and another to the other monitor. The little mic on the board was fun to use and they were happy. One guitarist turns his volume up every few minutes all night because he can never hear it, so we tilted his amp up and ran his guitar primarily thru the PA, which worked well.

• Members

Problems at previous shows from my point of view were:

1 lack of vocal volume and quality

2 lack of kick and bass punch

3 too loud or inaudible guitars

4 lack of transparency

I inserted the vocals into the two channels of the M1 setting 65 "pop dr/vocals" and it sounded OK but would audibly clip as the lead singer (who is outstanding) would move closer to the mic the louder he sang.

Now it was 7:20 and nearly a hundred high school kids were there. I thought needed to do something, so I sent the vocals to a subgroup (had no output at first but switched to another) and inserted one channel of the comp and the other comp channel into a subgroup for the bass and kick. I've read about comp use (how many threads are there here is this forum alone) but had never used one. Now I did this between the sound check and when they started playing, but figured I could take the subgroups out of the main mix if it was a disaster. I set both at 4:1, about -12db and fast.

They started playing. The vocal comp took off about 3-6db during the loudest passge and when I figured out I needed to tap the tap tempo button for the preset they wanted sounded great.The bass wasn't bad and you could feel the kick just like I like it with a little fiddling. Sound levels "on the floor" were loud but not painful and the strat and tele were decently balanced.

The boys and their fans were happy. The guys practice a ton, it was a good room and decent equipment and I'm sure it wasn't even close to perfect, but it sounded like "a show" to me. I had a great time. Thanks for reading and again I sincerely appreciate the assistance members of this forum have provided to me and the boys. FWIW

Archived