• Members

They just relocated a 50KW FM 97.5 transmitter and placed it a quarter of a mile from my ranch where we host a songwriter showcase music fest. Apparently, they are trying to get a better signal into the Dallas market and petitioned the FCC for the move.

So far I have only heard the station's audio when using some condensors for recording. Don't know how it will affect the PA. I haven't set up a full rig yet.

It blanks lower TV channels as well as everything from 95-101MHZ. Neighbors are pissed.

Anyone have any suggestions on placing caps/chokes on the console mic inputs or maybe the snake?

It may not be a problem but, I would like to be prepared.

• Members

Early Mackie mixers were famous for picking up RFI. If you e-mail them I think they will send you a copy of their fix, which you may be able to copy.

In general, adding a small ferrite bead to each leg of the XLR inputs can reduce RFI. Mixers with real transformer inputs are also much less susceptable, so if someone you know has an old board with transformer inputs you might want to use that.

I would set up the whole rig well before the gig and see what you get. Also, make sure all of your cables and snakes are in good shape-

• Members

I have a console with input xformers that I need to get going anyway. This is a good reason to do so.

PO lost the power supply cable. It has a weird connector so, I may end up changing both ends.

No manual. Can't figure out why it has so many conductors.

I can see +, - 15vdc, maybe a meter lamp 6v, phantom power, grnd but this thing has maybe 18 conductors. We'll see...

• Members

What's the console?

Common voltages:

+/- Vcc (audio)

+48V (phantom)

+12V (lamps and aux pwr/relays)

+5V (logic)

PSU enable circuit (Yamaha uses this to prevent engaging a hot DC power cable to the console.

Sometimes another 5 or 12 volt supply to power meter bridge LEDS if applicable.

There can be many conductors if the design returns all grounds to a common point inside the power supply.

Transformer input may or may not help things. Depends WHERE the RFI is entering.

• Members

Its the old Bi-Amp. Never did get a manual for it. I may pull it out of storage and get back on that project.

BTW, What are you having to pay for a roll of hay out there? The drought/grass fires has made it scarse here. Had to pay $100/roll last week.

• Members

Originally posted by Dan Magers

Its the old Bi-Amp. Never did get a manual for it. I may pull it out of storage and get back on that project.

If I recall, the Bi-Amp products used +/- 15ish volts for audio, +48 phantom and +12V for accessory. I don't recall anything else, but you could always call them for info. A supply from another similar console would not be that hard to modify. The power cable connectors should be available too.

BTW, What are you having to pay for a roll of hay out there? The drought/grass fires has made it scarse here. Had to pay $100/roll last week.

For horse hay (oat/pasture grass mix) is probably around $150-175/ton, and maybe a little less for alfalfa. Much depends on cost of transportantion due to fuel costs.

You have so much cattle demand that in the times of drought the shift from range pasture to supplimented feeding really tears at the balance in feed costs. I have a friend here from Texas finishing up his Equine Surgery residency and he was saying that back home things were getting really tough due to the drough and then of course the fires.

CA Hay Market

• Members

I had an installation that was getting very strong FM into the system via a teleco line used for paging. Ferrite bead on the teleco fixed the problem. Funny thing was, the teleco guys were amazed-said they had similar problems all over this area to the extent that their clients all had a sort of "music-on-hold" thing on thei phones (unfortunately, it was a country station!)

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

What's the console?

Common voltages:

+/- Vcc (audio)

+48V (phantom)

+12V (lamps and aux pwr/relays)

+5V (logic)

PSU enable circuit (Yamaha uses this to prevent engaging a hot DC power cable to the console.

Sometimes another 5 or 12 volt supply to power meter bridge LEDS if applicable.

There can be many conductors if the design returns all grounds to a common point inside the power supply.

Transformer input may or may not help things. Depends WHERE the RFI is entering.

12 of the 14 pins are used.

Here's the connector in question. I need mating plugs for both.

• Members

Looks like there is a model number on the side- can you get a manufacturers name off of it anywhere? It looks like a fairly common circular connector.

You might try Digi-Key or Mouser electronics

If you can't track down a mate, you should be able to find a similar connector that will fit the holes- (I know, who the hell wants to replace the connectors and make a new cable, but ....)

The sad part is that you know that somewhere someone has the mating cable sitting in a junk box.

• Members

Sure looks like an AMP CPC series connector, contact arrangement 17-14, shell size 17

I think the part number for the cable mount is:

Male pins plug housing: #206044-1, plus you would need the pins and the backshell (may come with connector body)

Check with AMP/TYCO rep as to availability. I am going from my old master catalog

Hope this helps

(oh, and the part number I have matches your part, and the DigiKey sheet attached above looks to be the correct part. If only other problems were so easy!)

• Members

Thanks Andy. I'll check that one out.

Whats confusing is they did not use the same color wire on the matching pin# for both ends.

All the colors are there, just in a different order.

Looks as if it supplys +,-18vdc. I see a LM7818 and a LM320T-18. There are also a couple of LM317s...

I would like a manual if I can find one. Waiting for Biamp's parts dept to reply.

Its a 1642 console. Big, heavy, lots of room to work.

• Members

That was my favorite Biamp console!

+/- 17 and 18 were also commonly used.

I preferred 78(79)15's and just raise the ground terminal up w/ a couple of diodes or a 2.7V zener to get a higher voltage rather than other regulators (just my preference) and actually I prefer 15 volts since there's no real advantage to the higher rails anyway and reliability is higher at the lower rail voltage (at least theoretically).

Archived