A&H PA12CP mixer acting up...

• Members

Hey guys, need some help on this one. My Allen and Heath powered mixer is acting up, first off, one of the channels (A) keeps going into protect mode, tripping the limiter and killing the amp whenever i power it up. Second is just a minor issue with the master volume slider, keeps shorting out the left channel unless i hold it to one side. I was going to take it apart and spray the slider down with contact cleaner, but i dont have any idea about the amp issue... any ideas?

• Members

Does the amp go into protect without a load (speaker) connected??? If so, time for a service job.

Your master fader probably got broken... cracked phenolic substrate. Cleaner generally makes a mess of things inside and is not a good solution until it's determined definately that it's not a broken part. From your symptoms, it does not sound like it's dirty.

• Members

Thanks for the response.

I've got it open right now...

The fader was not making contact at a few points on its run it had seperated a little bit, i put it back together but havent tested it yet, but its either broke for sure and i need a new one or its fine.

As for the amp, i've got it open and none of the internal fuses are blown, all the connections are good and theres no obvious blackened parts or anything, the amp guy that i know around here knows about as much as i do and will probably just want to send it off, i have worked with electronics before and know how to work on high voltage, but havent ever worked on pro audio gear or amps so if you have any tips on what to look for it would be much appreciated, thanks

[edit: yeah, it does go into protect mode w/o a load]

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Nothing worse (or more expensive) than repairing somebody else's attempt.

I'm about to find this out the hard way - I tried repairing a loose output jack on a mate's bass amp, but VERY stupidly stuck in a pair of needle nose pliers when the darned thing was switched on and shorted the tip to ground. One loud spark was all it took for me to realize I've just made a very expensive repair job for the qualified amp tech who's gonna see it in a couple of weeks.

:(

AS

• Members

Originally posted by AlienLogik

Thanks for the response.

I've got it open right now...

, but havent ever worked on pro audio gear or amps so if you have any tips on what to look for it would be much appreciated, thanks[edit: yeah, it does go into protect mode w/o a load]

Best to take the advice and contact your service agent. For further advice on the problem or service facility you could contact A&H tech support direct mailto:dave.lewty@allen-heath-usa.com (US) or mailto:support@allen-heath.com (UK).

Regards,

Carey

Archived