compressor and monitor mix- how much of a problem?

• Members

bad news first: 1. board is a a behringer mx3282. 2. Want to use a outboard preamp/compressor.

Just starting to use a single two channel compressor; recently used one channel to take off 3db off the loudest vocal passages. the other channel was used on a subgroup for the bass and kick.

Have a audioupgrades modded symetrix 528 (previously used for recording now on a shelf in the basement) with a nice preamp, EQ and compressor. plan to use a TS to RS cable into the insert of a channel to skip the board preamp and lightly compress the vocals. then could use one channel each of the compressor for the bass and kick.

How much of a problem will the compressed vocals create for the two monitor auxs? (qsc into yorkville NX20s) What other problems are likely results of this folly? thanks again.

• Members

Light compression probably won't be a problem... maybe even a benefit.

Possible problem is ground loop between console & pre/comp. I am always wary of anything "modded" for a studio. There are just so many hack mods out there on everything. Our standard shop policy when something comes in broken is to remove the mods and restore back to the factory (with a few exceptions) and the problems generally clear up... it's a miracle;)

• Members

audio upgrades does "component level upgrades" and "typical modifications include replace op-amps, E.Q. caps, coupling caps, direct-couple audio path, install feedback caps."

replacing the behringer board is not a current option, so if this manuever results in a little better vocal clarity and headroom it would be good. If not it will be easy to plug the mic cable back directly into the board.

It seems that using a preamp is generally viewed as an indicator of lack of experience and/or judgement, which in this case it clearly is, but I was looking for problems like a "ground loop" to watch for which might tell me it's time to bag it. thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by julius_the_cat

audio upgrades does "component level upgrades" and "typical modifications include replace op-amps, E.Q. caps, coupling caps, direct-couple audio path, install feedback caps."

And the VAST majority of this work is both unnecessary and in many cases detrimental to performance and/or reliability. But it's a profit center for chop-shops (not saying audio upgrades is) and in most cases it's not money well spent.

There are also restoration shops that will restore equipment to proper working condition, and these (if they don't generate rediculuous hype) have a different and potentially valuable purpose.

• Members

Certainly is a challenge for me to tell hype from the real thing. Circuits have always confused me, it was a major accomplishment for me to rewire my grandpa's cast aside oscillating fan so I could keep cool one summer. I do appreciate the honest comments.

However, the pair of 528s the boys have used in the basement do sound darned nice. Jim Williams at Audioupgrades.com has a marginal website that hasn't been updated in at least two years (a good sign in my experience) has been helpful by phone and seems to respected on other recording forums whether warranted or not YMMV.

• Members

This should not be a problem, other than the singer missing the dynamic changes. However the other band members may thank you. If the singer isn't happy with the sound, you can always split the vocal mic into two channels, use one for monitors (or just the singers monitor) with no comp and the other for house (and any other bandmemebers that like the compressed sound).

I do this quite a bit with very dynamically wide singers.

• Members

Thanks, I'll see what it sounds like this weekend. If the preamp/comp isn't much better than the board it may be a moot point. I also just ordered what I thought would be all the cables/adapters I would ever need, but didn't get a XLR FMM y-cable which I what I think I would need to split the signal?

The racks purchased last year that seemed like more than enough room now of course aren't. Didn't anticipate the EQ taking up so much space. Would like to a larger rack on casters, but the racks are in a basement now and would be a hassle getting up the stairs.

Archived