How many of you make your own cables?

• Members

If you are set up to make a run of 100 cables, the prep is done fairly automatically in that the cable is measured out/cut, stripped, etc. Tinning of cable ends is done w/ a solder pot, connectors are jigged up etc.

My shop time per cable is 5 minutes per cable IF I am just doing cables without interruption. 8412 takes a minute or so longer due to the tighter braid and jute, but the labor is not the major factor between doing it right or doing it sloppy. It's the morals of the company and how they perceive themselves in the world of quality suppliers.

My own labor cost is greater than $12/hr though, so it does cost me more myself. But I can certainly find labor at $12/hr that would be able to do the quality thing at 6 or 7 minutes per cable if the need was there.

• Members

I think where's got some points, I have seen some pretty just pre-made stuff. But usually it's from Hosa (thailand) or ebay mass cable dealers with names I can't pronounce.

FWIW I bought a lot of rapco stuff when working at a music store (and hosa too for studio gear that didn't take abuse as much). 6 years later most of the rapco stuff is working and most of the hosa is not (except the snakes only since I replaced them with audiopile snakes, they get used when I only need 4 channels of insert not 16).

When working at geetar center I made it a point to buy a lot of cable, mostly interconnects and xlr (not the $5 mic cable though, I made that mistake once and ordered 10 from musicians friend. they are not your friend selling cable like this, 8 went dead in less than a month). I bit the bullet and bought install cable for wiring up insides of racks, connectors I get from Liz. Actually any 1/4, XLR, nuetrik I build now, 1/8 or oddball I'll buy it. Soldering helps pass the time on a lazy sunday so it's cool.

p

• Members

You get what you pay for... comparing a $20 pro mic cable with a $5 don't ask-don't tell mic cable is rediculuous.

For example, the Rapco NP series are industry standard 8412/NC3 cables that the touring industry uses. They supply the touring industry almost exclusively with that cable. It's also not a $5.00 cable.

All the major manufacturers make the same cable.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by jabney

Making my own cables has one big advantage - by using the same roll of raw cable (Canare for the 3 conductor, Mogami for snakeage) and by always using the same cable direction and the same shield comb-out point (I line it up with the label on the Canare) the cables 'lay out' the same way - every time.

I like your style. That's a nice touch. I'll bet it's impressive with a rack of cables plugged in side-by-side on a board or snake.:thu:

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Unalaska

I think where's got some points,

yea... but: For "Where" to state:

"my experience with prebuilt is it's all junk, built by minimum wage employees with about 5 seconds of training. "

Well... I suggest that "Where":

1) has limited experience, and/or:

2) is just talking crap, and/or;

3) has a level of standards that is truly on another level.

Because: In my experience:

1) Not all prebuilt cables qualify as junk by my and many other folk's judging standards, and:

2) Not all prebuilt cables are built by minimum wage employees (I can attest to that), and:

3) Not all prebuilt cables are built by employees with about 5 seconds of training (I can attest to that too).

I'll agree that by even low judging standards, there's some pretty scuzzy prebuilt cables on the market. But by the same token, I believe that by even the highest judging standards, there's prebuilt cables on the market that rate "good" to possibly even "excellent". And I believe there's plenty of prebuilt cables available over a broad price and quality range.

And, if "Where" is truly "on another level" with his standards, and if his practiced standards would qualify even the best of premade cables as "junk" when judged next to his personally built cables, then I'd like to know what the differences are? If somebody's got a better way of building cables, I'd like to learn all I can.

• Members

As my high school science teacher said: "All generalities are lies"

This is what usually (generally!) get's where in trouble. He has opinions or experiences and make broad general statements that do not, cannot and never will hold true in every case.

Johnny

Archived