Mic Phantom current

• Members

Anyone know the average condenser mic current at 48volts?

After struggling with making up a 14 pin AMP connector power supply cable (never again) for my old vintage console, I find the power supply is missing some supply rails.

+48 is now +26.

+18 is now +2.6.

I checked the cable for shorts before connecting it up about three times to make sure.

Power supply worked fine last week when I tested it on the bench. Haven't moved it, turned it on today and find this bull{censored}.

+18vdc is a easy fix LM7818, The +48 circuit is the most complex crap for a simple low current supply I have ever seen. I may just simplify the regulator and RC filter with as much "C" as I can cram in the space.

Mics don't need much current do they?

I have 68VDC to start out with. I was thinking one series pass transistor, zener on its base, big cap, resistor, big cap...

• Members

Originally posted by Dan Magers

I think the LM317 is good for 37 volts. Is the HT suffix a higher voltage part?

Thoughts on lifting the gnd terminal of this device?

Concern is noise more than anything else.

The HT (um - HVT, perhaps) is for the higher-voltage part. I've done (and seen in other circuits) from ~55vdc or more down to 48vdc for phantom circuits.

• Members

A three term device would be ideal.

+48v always seemed like enough for a tube anode to me.

I have a 317 based supply here I use on the bench. I may jumper it in and see what the S/N looks like.

Thanks for the fast reply guys. Get back to work now.

• Members

Lifting the ground terminal by say 24 volts sould give good results w/ the LM317 set to 24 volts (24Vreg + 24Voffset = 48 volts) and (68V - 24V = 44 volts) which may still be high for a 317 but I can't say for sure. Some of this may be a spec. derating due to the SOA of the pass transistor in the 317, so at lower currents this may be acceptable. My book shows an input/output differential of 40 volts, and this appears to be independent of the ground terminal reference (within reason).

Also note that you will need a minimum 10mA load current to be sure you stay in regulation. This is usually done via the LED and suitable (note power dissipation) dropping resistor.

The circuit shown in the Rod Elliot link is also common, you do not (obviously) need the voltage doubler & input filtering circuit.

You might also look again at the power supply to see if you missed something obvious... like a cold solder joint on the pass transistor OR possibly a floating ground terminal somewhere since a problem with 2 supply voltages is suspicous.

• Members

Thanks Andy. I suspected the two problems were related but I found the voltages correct on the 7818 apart from the output pin.

I noticed some of the complexity of the current design is a soft start/stop feature.

Back to troubleshooting.

• Members

Keep in mind that the IEC 61938, section 7.4.5 proclaims the 48 V phantom version with a 6.8kOhm series resistor, i.e. the maximum current per leg is about 7mA and that's only if you short the darn thing.

Every device that draws any significant current will have to able to cope with significant sag. If you are drawing 5mA you are left with only 14V at the terminals.

That's one of the reasons why we went with the IEC "recommended" variant of 24V/1.2kOhm. With a 5mA current draw you are only down to 18V at the terminals and get actually MORE usable power than with a "nominal" 48V supply.

• Members

Originally posted by boseengineer

That's one of the reasons why we went with the IEC "recommended" variant of 24V/1.2kOhm. With a 5mA current draw you are only down to 18V at the terminals and get actually MORE usable power than with a "nominal" 48V supply.

Any problem with mic loading at 2.4k differential?

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Any problem with mic loading at 2.4k differential?

Not that I'm aware off. I have yet to find the microphone that has any problems with 24V/1.2k.

Actually I'm curious, do any potential "troublemakers" come to mind ?

• Members

Not that I'm aware off. I have yet to find the microphone that has any problems with 24V/1.2k.

The Baggs Para-Acoustic DI is pretty power-hungry. I've read that the CAD M-179 is also power-hungry, but I've never had occasion to test that.

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

I had a customer tell me his ovation guitar preamp draws 30mA off of the phantom supply. And he was using 2 of them and 2 SM87's on one of our powered mixers.

SoundMan

If the phantom supply is implemented accoding to IEC specifications, he wouldn't be able draw anywhere near 30 mA. We use SM87s all the time. No problems at all.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

The Baggs Para-Acoustic DI is pretty power-hungry. I've read that the CAD M-179 is also power-hungry, but I've never had occasion to test that.

Tried the LR Baggs. No problem at all.

It sounds counterintuitive but you can actually draw more power from a 24V/1.2k supply than from a 48V/6.8k. Theoretical maxium for the 24V/1.2k supply is 120 mW. The 48/6.8k can only deliver 85 mW.

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

I had a customer tell me his ovation guitar preamp draws 30mA off of the phantom supply. And he was using 2 of them and 2 SM87's on one of our powered mixers.

SoundMan

30mA? That's double the short circuit current on your boards isn't it? I think the customer is mis-informed...

According to my Ovation info, the Pro preamps draw 12mA max from phantom power with the tuner on. That leaves a nominal operating voltage of about 10 volts which is plenty for the Ovation preamp to operate.

• Members

Some of my products use the 15 volt (or is it really 13.6V???) standard which also works fine on all but non-electret style mics. Externally biased condensers are a likely troublemaker.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Some of my products use the 15 volt (or is it really 13.6V???) standard which also works fine on all but non-electret style mics. Externally biased condensers are a likely troublemaker.

Externally biased seems to quite rare these days.

Some of the higher end Neumanns are not electret but as far as I know they use an internal DC-DC converter and polarize at 200 V. The DC-DC converter also seems happier with the higher current capabilities of the lower volt supplies.

• Members

This is pretty interesting - a few weeks ago over on another (mostly DIY) forum, somebody mentioned a noticeably different frequency response from a mic when they'd changed the phantom power arrangements around a bit. Which makes me wonder about whether an adjustable-voltage phantom supply in a boutique mic preamp might yield interesting results.

A high-end mic preamp is a couple projects down the line for me, I just need to remember to put that on my feature-creep list.

• Members

Externally biased seems to quite rare these days.

Some of the higher end Neumanns are not electret but as far as I know they use an internal DC-DC converter and polarize at 200 V. The DC-DC converter also seems happier with the higher current capabilities of the lower volt supplies.

I know we had some issues with some of the specialty "botique" mics that I would have never considered using live. I forget whicg off the top of my head though.

Archived