• Members

As I continue to increase my skills and experience as a sound man, eq is still something I don't feel I have a very good grasp at. I get a lot of comments on how good my mixes are but I still don't consider myself extremely skilled by any means.

Are there any good ways to figure out/learn eq and the frequencies. When I go out on shows, the older techs will know exactly what offending frequency is causing feedback and they'll kill it right away.

I'm self concious, and almost scared, of eq-ing FOH mains because I feel like I suck at eq. I'm even self concious at eqing the channel strip, especially when you get onto bigger boards with more range on on the sweepable parametrics.

And please don't say "experience," I'm impatient and want to be as good as i can be now! ;)

• Members

There is a program available that lets you train yourself to recognize offending frequencies. It generates a feedback frequency at random. It is up to you to quickly pull down the right slider.

I had it and lost it a while back when my computer crashed.

Hopefully someone here can direct you to it.

You could also have someone push up a slider and make you guess which frequency it is. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Parallex

flip, where in Iowa are you located?

And a computer program like that sound perfect for what I would need.

another tip... if your useing a 31 band eq. force your self to only use, about 6 sliders, and only 1 of them can be a boost the other 5 have to be cuts. once you get a feel for it this way you will realise that it is all about small and few changes.

Archived