Sound Engineer Needed: Glens Falls NY, Memorial Day Weekend

• Members

Dan,

I checked out Beanstock.org. Looks like a blast! If only I didn't have a school gig that weekend.

I was in your area before, as I used to have a sister living in Gainsville. Beautiful country!

We have several music festivals around Nebraska over the summer, but I'd love to start one out on a farm we own. It's really a beautiful place with lakes, streams and acres of trees. Ahhh, maybe someday! Any advice to someone starting a festival?

Joel

• Members

Originally posted by joel77

Dan,

I checked out Beanstock.org. Looks like a blast! If only I didn't have a school gig that weekend.

I was in your area before, as I used to have a sister living in Gainsville. Beautiful country!

We have several music festivals around Nebraska over the summer, but I'd love to start one out on a farm we own. It's really a beautiful place with lakes, streams and acres of trees. Ahhh, maybe someday! Any advice to someone starting a festival?

Joel

have you ever seen the aftermath of a festival? could take weeks to get it back to being beautiful.

• Members

Advice for someone starting a festival..... Talk to your County Zoning Administrator.... you may well find that many neighbors do not share your desire, and chances are your rural property is NOT zoned for commercial endevors, which is how they will stop you from doing this if they can.

I'm all for it of course.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Dan Magers

Anyone in NTX want to come play in my sand box next weekend?

Small line array, four LAB subs...

I could always use some help.

www.beanstock.org

Texas... that figures. I was looking at the date for the Beanstock gig... April 7th thru 9th. That's like NEXT WEEKEND! Then I looked outside (here)... it's 34 degrees, wind blowing, mix of rain and snow... then I looked at the Beanstock pictures from last year... green grass, leaves on the trees, people wearing indoor clothes outdoors and smiling. tilt. Then I see you're in Texas. We'll have some weekends like that here... starting in like June, or July.

Looks like a great gig... too bad it's such a long drive, or I'd be there.

We had somebody crowd the season here a decade or so ago... put on a big outdoor festival in May... it started out being the next annual Greenstock... and ended up being dubbed the infamous N. Idaho Mudstock (way before the Woodstock/Mudstock thing). Hundreds (maybe thousands) of kids were stuck at the venue for days cause the single road leading into and out of the venue turned into such a mud bog that it was impassable for days... they finally reduced the stage to firewood and burnt it to stay warm and try to dry out. I think there was footage of it on Entertainment Tonight back in '94 or so. There's a brief on-line recap of the event here:

http://www.ewirezine.com/music/sicko/sicko-tour.html

More, for those who might be interested in how wrong a festival can go... although I don't remember the school bus sinking to it's roof:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:tq1WkOWLjfwJ:www.jambands.com/Departments/BizSchool/content_2002_08_24.00.phtml+Greenstock+festival+IN.+Idaho&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

• Members

Originally posted by milesdf

have you ever seen the aftermath of a festival? could take weeks to get it back to being beautiful.

I've been doing this for five yrs now, two/per. So far, its been a very good "listening" crowd who picks up after themselves and a good family of volunteers who take care of the ones that don't.

We don't sell beer, its BYOB (no glass containers) and we recycle all the trash which helps.

The campfire sessions going all night are phenomenal. Some of the talent I hear around a fire just amazes me...

However, I seldom go past 1-2AM these days.

Proceeds always benefit charity. Multiple Scerosis this time.

• Members

Sounds great, Dan!

Joel

Originally posted by Dan Magers

I've been doing this for five yrs now, two/per. So far, its been a very good "listening" crowd who picks up after themselves and a good family of volunteers who take care of the ones that don't.

We don't sell beer, its BYOB (no glass containers) and we recycle all the trash which helps.

The campfire sessions going all night are phenomenal. Some of the talent I hear around a fire just amazes me...

However, I seldom go past 1-2AM these days.

Proceeds always benefit charity. Multiple Scerosis this time.

Archived