PA Shrinkage

• Members

Picked up some gigs where we have to bring the PA, these are weekly sometimes twice a week at 2 different bars. At these gigs we mix from the stage.

Very happy with our PA just need to reduce weight, size and setup/tear down size.

Here is our gear:

We currently have a 12 space rack with space for a mixer on top.

Mixer = Carvin 1644, will probably replace with a PV FX16

Power Amps - FOH PV2600, Monitors Carvin DCM2000

PV Feedback Ferret II for monitors

DBX 233 XL cross over

Juice Goose power strip

Speakers: FOH - PV SP5's, Yorkville L700P sub

monitors - Carvin 722 (2x)

Original thought is to replace the Carvin mixer with a PV FX16 or Mix Wiz and rack mount in a seperate case with the PV2600, Feedback ferret, X-over and power strip (SKB Gig Rig type thing). This would let us grab that rack without bringing extra stuff. FOH on 1 side of power amp and monitors on the other.

Second rack for monitor power amp (Carvin) and any other monitor equipment we would use for bigger gigs. Bar gigs are so small that the monitors bleed into each other (can't hear individual monitor mixes).

Any other thoughts on how to organize and make this easier to transport and setup/tear down is appreciated.

• Members

For our small gigs I just bring my monitor rig no need to mic the whole band up we just use it for vocals only 2 on a stand and 2 on the floor works great for us. I see no need for a big system in a small venue with eveybody miced out just asking for headaches we try to keep it simple less=more sometimes. Goodluck and peace out.:cool:

• Members

to a gig-rig setup. For smallish outings, it's the only way to go. Everything is in one rack; just plug in the speakers and go. I'm going to add a panel on the back for speaker connections so my bandmates won't have any excuses for not helping out.

It's been a real timesaver for me not having to repatch for each outing.

I have 3 suggestions-they may be obvious to you but I hadn't thought thru all the angles before I did mine:

1. I picked up a used PLX amp--makes the whole rig a pleasure to handle. The reduced weight of these is a real bonus.

2. If you get a pop-up style case, make sure you allow 1 extra space for the cables. I didn't, and have to lift the mixer out partially to route the internal cables.

3. The pop-up style case can be an awkward height. I don't like to have the case sitting on the floor; too difficult to get to the power amp connections. It may be that I just haven't found the right height yet, but it's a minor inconvenience.

• Members

Originally posted by twostone

For our small gigs I just bring my monitor rig no need to mic the whole band up we just use it for vocals only 2 on a stand and 2 on the floor works great for us. I see no need for a big system in a small venue with eveybody miced out just asking for headaches we try to keep it simple less=more sometimes. Goodluck and peace out.
:cool:

Yup...That's it...I use a little Mackie DFX 6 and four vocal mikes. Do not mike anything else. I use it for tracks shows with Tribute Artists also.

Your lightest power amp with the monitors on stands and your Yorkville L700P, will be better than you think.

I like the Yorkville BM400 for the monitors as FOH in small gigs. 400 watts into 4 ohms with built in 10 band EQ and a built in limiter. It is a very clean amp and is an easy 2 rack SKB carry in. I use an old Yamaha pd2500 bridged 750 watts into 8 for the 70lb 6th order bandpass sub, (you can get by without a crossover). The amp weighs 26lbs.....and I feed it from the monitor out.

Less is more:thu:

• Members

Why not get the 1644 powered version? Then you have mixer & power in a single pack that already built into a road case. It would also make for a handy rehearsal rig.

You could also go with a pair of the PM15's or the Peavey Impulse or PR series moulded speakers for an additional weight reduction for smaller gigs and to use as extra monitors for larger gigs.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

laidback-

Was thinking the same thing on a rear patch panel.

Any recommendations on cases?

I used a Gator case with 8 spaces below and 10 above. I have an Eq, dual comp/limit/gate, power amp, fx and power in the rack. I added another amp for a gig last week, but pulled it back out as soon as I got back--it gets heavy with 2 amps.

Since the rack is pretty deep, you could rack the power supply and maybe a crossover in the rear.

My band doesn't need subs for small outings. We run mains on one side of the amp, monitors on the other.

Archived