folded or reflex subs in small rooms?

• Members

anybody tried using long throw sorta subs in fairly small rooms (pub size, 100 ish max)?

i was wanting some bass reinforcement that while compact would be able to work more reggae/dub or even dnb situations aswell as a bit of extra kick in vocal reinforcement for punk/hardcore bands (while taking some of the strain off the tops)

my plan was one 1850 design sub/or a looney bin ( http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=1850horn )with my crown ma1200 (only available amp, 900w@8ohms bridge) bridged into it but i am not sure whether or not a reflex sub would be more suited for such small rooms? is the larger output from folded designs only attainable in long throw applications?

tops are 400w das active 15" + 1" comp (ds115a)

• Members

Both can be suitable choices. The long throw thing is a bit mis-understood, but the response of a horn loaded sub generally does not have as smooth or round sounding extension as a PROPERLY designed reflex cabinet but will have greater sensitivity from about 60Hz on up (depending on path length and horn/mouth geometry.

Beware that bridging your MA1200 into a 4 ohm load may cause some thermal issues if the ambient temperature is high,

• Members

yeah i was thinking an 8ohm cab just to be on the safer side. i've only run it in stereo for monitors before, is their bridged performance a bit sketchy?

i had heard that horn loaded 'would not sound as good' in smaller rooms and was trying to work out what was meant by that, i figured it would be more to do with the size of the room rather than the effect the design had on the sound which'd be where the long/short throw idea came from.

ta

• Members

Originally posted by Dan Magers

You could face it into a corner to get a little more extension from the horn. I guess you could do the same with the reflex box.

That's my suggestion as well, if you're just looking to get the most bass out of what you have. Put your subs into one corner of the room. I don't think facing them in towards the corner would do any good, just stick them together into the same corner so that they can work together instead of interfering at various frequencies. In a small room you can get a lot of bass - it's a completely different situation from an open space such as outdoors. Corners are especially nice, because the walls add some coupling and result in an overall louder output.

• Members

Originally posted by Dan Magers

Yes. FACE them into the corner.

Align the tops accordingly if you can.

I'm extremely curious about this, Dan. Does this sort-of create a longer horn, or does it "really and truly" cause coupling to the corner?

• Members

Yes. Both.

Ideally it should be a smooth transition so, its its a small horn consider the area of the mouth when you space it into the corner. Don't choke it down. The corner becomes the mouth.

Reflex box can be closer I suspect.

Play around with spacing to suit.

Try this. Stack two subs faced into a corner. Bolt stuff down, hold on...

Archived