I need 4 channels of decent quality mic preamps, but have no money.

• Members

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to accomplish this. please keep in mind that I can build anything, so schematics/kits are what i am looking for. my budget is 50$. It's for a broadcast console that doesn't have preamps in it. please help. thanks.

• Members

Hate to say it, but doesn't Behringer have a cheap 4 channel mic preamp??? Maybe more than $50 but probably pretty cheap still. Maybe used would be a good thing to try?

Another option is that have a set of (a bunch) Kelsey input PCBS all assembled and with input transformers but they would still be around $25.00 each... but they also include 3 band eq, trim pote and pre/post fader pots. With paperwork.

Yet another option is that I have some Sound Workshop series 30 mixer modules complete w/ 3 band parametric eq, etc for about $30.00 each. Fully assembled and tested with paperwork.

Interested... e-mail me at agedhorse@aol.com

• Members

I have an old AudioTechnica 4 track console w/6 pre's that sound sweet as pie but is too damn big and heavy for what I need it for. If you want to drive to NJ, it's yours...but with the price of gas, probably not worth it!

• Members

im not looking for eq or anything particularly good sounding, i just need to be able to input mics into this console. cant really find any schematics, but if anyone has one that uses less than like 10 parts i can just build it up on a perfboard, otherwise i can probablly get pcbs made.

thanks

• Members

Ask Craig Anderton (I believe he's a moderator of one of the forums here at HC. He used to write for (I believe it was guitar player magazine) and each month he would feature a Do it youself schematic and plans article. I'll bet he's got just what your looking for.

• Members

Originally posted by fingerpicker

here ya go:

Yeah its Behringer but its $50.00--Not over and if price is your main concern than there is really no other option.

It'll probably break after a while...

That doesn't have 4 mic pres. It also doesn't have DOs (or inserts which can be used in that manner). It wouldn't work for his application.

Flanc's suggestion hits all the requirements, except price.

• Members

eh i dont trust that sm thing. infact i reaally dont trust anything in this price range, unless im building it myself with quality components. or i might just put it off for a while and buy the 350$ preamp unit designed for the console. ill have to wire for it now though...

to let you guys in on what im doing, a complete rewiring of a smallish radio station. it has a main control room and a production room, each with 2 mics. in the past they have been seperated by another room, but we moved the rooms around and they are next to each other seperated by a window. so now we would like the ability to track all four mics on the main console, but not having two extra preamps stands in our way. (i figured all 4 should match up). everything appears to be going well, except pretty far behind schedule. im using alot of audiopile connectors, i might be building an all audiopile xlr patchbay in the near future, stay tuned.

• Members

You could get something like this:

TOA AX-1000

8 mic channels with 8 direct outs, rack mount. But since this is made for use in an install (screw terminal innies and outies), you'd have to put together a patch panel.

I've seen tons of this type of stuff pulled out of installs and it never really goes for much more than your budget.

• Members

screw terminals or solder points are far desirable for my application, connectors get expensive.

i found some old preamp cards, i will try to post a schematic to see if anyone can help me determine what the pins are.

Archived