Drummer vocal mic

• Members

Is the Crown 311A the preferred headset mic for drummers? I like not having the mic stand. My audio technica is going on the fritz.

I want to do the best I can to isolate the vocal pick up from the drums. We can gate it too, but let's start with the right mic.

Where's a good place to find that mic for sale, if that's the one?

much obliged

rickrock

• Members

Originally posted by flanc

The Crown is a very good drummer headset. The Countryman Isomax e6 is great too but a bit fragile.

I agree. The e6 is a great sounding mic. The gating idea doesn't usualy work too well (by the time you gate out the drums the vocal is pretty choppy) Also every time the drummer sings (and the gate opens up) your drum mix changes. I usualy just make a compromise decision and live with an extra ambient drum mic (I agree that the right mic, placed properly, is one of the best things you can do). Singing drummers can be tough (I know I used to sing and play drums a lot:D ).

• Members

The crown works good. I have one and used it. When I started playing my harmonica too, I switched to the countryman.

I have the hardwired crown, sitting around in it's case, not doing anything. I would sell it for $100. It is a great drummers mic, I see a lot of drummers using it, and I felt like it had better "separation" than the countryman, owing to the highly directional nature of it, and the way it is worn. (This was not an issue for me, I was playing electronic drums, but it might be for you.) Both the crown and the countryman sound easily as good as a hand held mic, ie SM 58. Both are condensor mics.

• Members

Sounds like it might be an opportunity. Can you tell me what you mean by "separation"?

How old is the mic you bought? Was it new when you bought it? By hardwired you mean, I'm sure, but just to be safe, that it connects to an XLR cord, i.e., it's not a wireless mic?

What does the Countryman offer that you feel is superior?

• Members

By separation, I meant that it picked up less extraneous sound... only picking up the vocals to a very large degree.

The benefit of the countryman was athat it has a much lower profile, (and is actually a lot smaller), so it is more discrete, and less noticable visually, and primarily for me... it permitted me to play a harmonica, which really could not be done with the crown.

Yes, hardwired means to me that it ends in an xlr.

yes, I bought it new. it is in perfect shape, Ikj even have some new wind screen covers around her somewhere, but... I am not sure if I can find them... they are available from crfown for like ten bucks.

Archived