Sub power question

• Members

I have 2 subs with an Eminence Magnum LF 18" speakers in each. The subs are a simple bass reflex box. They will handle 800 watts each, and are 8 ohms each.

I also have a QSC 2450 power amp. The amp is rated at 500 watts per side at 8 ohms, or 2400 watts in bridged mono mode at 4 ohms.

This means I can run the subs at 500 watts each with the amp in stereo mode, or 1200 watts each in bridged mono mode.

We're a rock band, playing some classic rock and some more modern rock stuff. No metal or heavy thumping bass stuff.

How would you run the power amp in my situation?

Thanks for any help.

• Members

500 watts per driver is plenty of power for those drivers IMO. No need to overpower them as costly unhappiness may result.

Are the cabinets home made boxes, or a respected manufacturer? Improperly designed cabinets can really lower the maximum power handling and also performance of the drivers.

• Members

Thanks for the advice.

These are homemade boxes, designed with Eminence software. 500 watts won't cause any problems with mechanical excursion or heat, based on the driver/box parameters in the program. They're actually good up to 800 watts without any problems.

I just was wondering if 500 per sub would be enough for a moderately loud rock band.

Thanks again.

Archived