Are these the right amp choices for my speakers?

• Members

I've assembled speakers and a 16ch board and now I'm going after amps........please tell me if I'm making the right choices with these components:

My mains: EV ELiminator 15/horn at 350 w

My subs: EV T-18's at 400 w

I propose to drive them with:

Mains - QSR RMX1850 which lists 360w per channel

Subs - QSR RMX2450 rated at 500w per channel

I plan on buying them new today and they come with a 6-year warranty.

Our band will be playing clubs and bars with anywhere from 50 to 250 people.

Thanks in advance for your input........

• Members

one side for the mains and the other for subs

That can work well is your subs have the same power handling as your mains. However, this may result in poor balance between lows and highs (unless subs are super efficient and mains are not). It is quite typical to see 2:1 power handling of subs to mains but of course there are many exceptions. And amps have limiters.

The one amp for mains/monitors and one amp for subs is probably a smarter set up...and a bit more flexible IMO

• Members

Originally posted by tonynorie

Kerf: That's an option I had not considered - using one side for the mains and the other for subs. Please tell me more.......how high do you have to turn up the amp settings and what is the approx size of the rooms you're using them in? Thanks!

So far I've used them in bars and small clubs, 40-75 people. And I've barely driven them. I expect to be able to use them for larger audiences up to 200 and maybe more.

I do use the other side for monitors, not for a sub. I don't yet use subs, but we're getting close. I just haven't decided on powered or passive.

If it were me, I'd probably get those two amps you mentioned, use the 2450 for mains and monitors and the 1850 bridged for the subs. But there are others with far more PA knowledge than me hanging around here. Do a search for amps and see what you can find. Most of what I know about PA's comes from this board.

Archived