adat for backing tracks

• Members

hi, i have an adat and i want to transfer audio from protools 6.9 (on os 10.3.9) to the adat to use as backing tracks for our shows.

when i was working in os9 there was a program called adat transfer that facilitated this process, but they never updated it for osx so i am wondering if anyone out there knows anything i dont about this.

and yes, i know i could do it manually, but the manual process has a larger margin for error. thanks in advance.

• Members

There are more reliable ways to playback audio live. There's a reason it's no longer supported by Mac.

If you are using backing tracks, I would suggest pre-mixing them to 2 tracks and then you have a lot of far more reliable playback options... I-POD, CD, MD, even laptop is more reliable these days.

• Members

it is already mixed two two tracks and the ipod would be nice, but the backing tracks are mono on the left track and the click for the drummer is on the right track, so we would have a problem distributing the output. a laptop would be awesome though...

• Members

Huh?

All you need are the proper cables.

My suggestion is to get 1/8"TRS to 2 x 1/4" TS cables and you can plug directly into your console. If you need to send it up a balanced snake, then a stereo passive DI box is the ticket for success. You need to protect your IPOD from phantom power if you run into a console's XLR's, that's one reason for the passive DI's. The other is to balance/float the signal so the the console's balanced inputs can function properly.

• Members

Run the ipod outs either to a DI or into the line inputs of your mixer. I connect my ipod to mixers all the time, I carry an ipod dock and an 1/8"- 2 TS cable(one left one right), as well as TS-XLR adapters for console with only XLR in, and have never had an issue. I made this cable in about 15 minutes at a cost of about $15. It's 15 feet long, so I can put the ipod almost anwhere around the mix area.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Don't forget the almost 10x smaller size:thu:

Not always the case, I use a minidisc deck (with a portable as a backup).

I seriously don't see any major difference between the portable and the deck - but the deck is easier to see on stage.

• Members

Run away, run far away. I have around 10 adats sitting around the shop- at any given time 3 will work right. Adat transports really don't like to be moved around much. Unless you have them in a good quality shock mount rack and handle them with kid gloved I would not recomend lugging one around o gigs, espically if you are using it in a critical situation. The MD, iPod, CD, laptop route is the best way to go. If you must multitrack and have a decent laptop pick up a presonus firebox. I believe it has 8 outputs.

Archived