Confusion about gain & level knob on powered mixer?

• Members

I've read two conflicting instructions on how to set levels for a powered mixer.

1) I always thought you set the channel gain knob first to just below peak, then master level to 12noon, then channel level to taste.

2) But recently I read that you should set the main to 12noon, gain to 9oclock, then channel to max

These instructions differ most in that the channel gain peaks around 3oclock which is a big difference from 9oclock. Which is right!???

Also in order to get more volume should I raise the master level or the channel levels?

• Members

Hmmm I think the orginal poster is saying "huh what"?

I am such a newb I am not sure i should even post on this thread, but, maybe I will anyhow forgive me if I blunder.

Three knobs, three different things going on... each of them can add distortion and noise to your sound, but each would do so in a different place. What you are talking about here is setting up your gain structure, and doing it properly will make the task of "mixing" a LOT easier.

The "gain" knob is controls the level of the input that is permitted to pass through and into your mixer. Different mics and different instruments will have somewhat different levels of "output" that you are "inputting" into your mixer. You want to balance these levels, and keep them below the threshold of your mixers input capacity without distorting the inputs.

If you have "gain" knobs... hopefully there is some sort of a led indicator you can use to get all the inputs to about the same level. Generally, you want them as hot as you can get them, and then back off a little bit. If there is a led indicator, the "red" will be distorting, the "yellow" will be " getting to distorting" and the "green" will mean "all is good". I like to set my gains at "just into the yellow". When "where" says nominal unity, I think he means that- just under distorting... where any more will create a problem.

My mixer is an Allen Heath Mix Whiz, and "unity" or - "0" is at about what would be "7" out of "10"... if things were numbered that way. It sounds like you have rotary knobs, rather than faders, but maybe they are about the same..(although maybe not).

If it were me I would next turn the mains to " a little over half way up", and then adjust the levels of the individual channels to how I wanted them.

The most important step of all this is the first step of setting all the input gains. If you have done this properly, then it should be pretty easy to keep things balanced in your mix. If you are having to turn something "way way up", it might well indicate that you have the gain for that instrument or mic too low on the "gain" knob.

There is no certian place that the gain knob should be turned to... it just needs to be turned to where you are letting as much of the input signal in as possible, without overloading the inputs on your mixer, and creating distortion. Any distortion that you create or permit at this location, will indeed be passed along to the other operating amps, and can be magnified tremendously, and generally, this is NOT the good kind of distortion.

If I have just confused you further, just mention that fact, and I will come back and delete this post, and you should act like I never even posted anything here.

• Members

Your first way of doing it is probably the most reasonable. I would set the gain so you do not show channel peak light at all and you should be good to go.

1) I always thought you set the channel gain knob first to just below peak, then master level to 12noon, then channel level to taste.

Archived