sticking speaker, dead or not??

• Members

Hi. situation first, actual question about 4 paragraphs down.

I few years ago i bought a big 2x15" cabinet, no horns I think it was meant as a sub cabinet in an install. It has a pair of unknown speakers in it - nessel.

Now, When I got this it worked. I was a PA newbie and I wasn't sure how many ohms the speakers were (I haven't checked but I think the cabinet may be 2 ohms).

I ran it with an amp which went DC on me (I have since stopped using that amp - I've had it fixed twice). I thought the speakers were dead and basically put it in a corner for 4 years.

Fast forward to today. Gave it the battery test, one speaker worked, one didn't. Felt the cone of the other speaker and it appeared to be jammed, pushed slightly and it freed up.

Ran it with a cheap stereo amp then a proper PA amp - it all seems to be working now. No obvious distortion, both speakers seem to be reacting the same way.

Is the speaker that was sticking a ticking time bomb? What caused it to stick and will it happen again - is it worth the risk?? I am looking at selling this cabinet and don't want to leave someone with a heap of junk.

Thanks

• Members

No way of knowing what happened... I suspect the VC jumped the gap and it's now back in but sometimes there's damage that you can't see until down the road.

As a shop, we just recone these since it's not worth the risk of failure knowing the type of damage that can happen.

For a casual user, it may not be a problem.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

No way of knowing what happened... I suspect the VC jumped the gap and it's now back in but sometimes there's damage that you can't see until down the road.

As a shop, we just recone these since it's not worth the risk of failure knowing the type of damage that can happen.

For a casual user, it may not be a problem.

I'd say that's probably the case - the last time these speakers were running they had pure DC going through them which I got reasonably quickly - but I'm suprised they are running at all.

I've had another speaker at one point that stuck the same way every time it was left for any period of time... any idea what was happening there??

I'm looking at moving soon and want to get rid of as much of the stuff that I don't use as I can. My other alternative is to put a pair of other speakers I have lying around in it that I know are working (but not matched to the cabinet) and then sell these two seperately - one as working the other as working with a description of what is going on with it - I may get $20 for it or something.

Thanks!!

• Members

OK, Next problem. Still going through stuff and seeing what I can sell.

2 15" speakers that I bought 3 or 4 years ago and never used for anything. Etone brand but not there top of the line speakers (still pretty decent though - probably about 150watt rms). They are good and were re-coned shortly before I bought them. Whoever did the reconing has used some sort of black glue / paint substance on the outer edge of the cone that seems to remain permanently tacky.

They have been sitting face down in cardboard speaker boxes and parts of the extreme edges are sticking to bits of cardboard from the box.

Is there anything I can do about this. I've soaked what I can of the cardboard off without destroying the cone but there is still a small amount at the extreme edges that seems to be permanently sunk into the glue.

The speakers still work fine, is there any sort of black paint that won't effect the speaker if brushed on these extreme edges and over the sticky sections to cover the carboard and remove the stickiness.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by moody

OK, Next problem.

Whoever did the reconing has used some sort of black glue / paint substance on the outer edge of the cone that seems to remain permanently tacky.

That is reasonably common.

Originally posted by moody

Is there anything I can do about this. I've soaked what I can of the cardboard off without destroying the cone but there is still a small amount at the extreme edges that seems to be permanently sunk into the glue.

The speakers still work fine, is there any sort of black paint that won't effect the speaker if brushed on these extreme edges and over the sticky sections to cover the carboard and remove the stickiness.

Thanks

A light dusting of semi-flat black should hide the cardboard residue. You wouldn't want to "hose it down"... which could risk getting enough to the solvent of the paint into the surround dopeing to mess it up... but I'd think a few light dusting coats of paint would be fine.

I've "dust painted" cones before... I had a whole bunch of JBL's that had off-white house paint splattered across the cones... from being in an install... and somebody recklessly over-sprayed the speakers while spray painting the inside of the building. I dressed them up with Krylon semi-flat black... it seemed to work just fine... and the speakers are still going and sounding fine now, 10+ years after the fact.

I recommend Krylon "Rust Tough Enamel"... possibly product # RTA 9203 Semi-Flat Black. This paint drys super fast... out in the hot sun, a reasonable mil thickness coat will dry in about 1 minute or less. Also, the nozzle is reasonably controllable... although this paint has such a high level of solids, the nozzle clogs fairly easily.

Also, if the spots of cardboard residue are small, you could touch it up with a Sharpie, or possibly even some mascara (sp?).

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by agedhorse

For small spots of cardboard on the surround, black spray paint into a small cup then use a Q-Tip or small cotton swab dipped in the paint to toich up the cardboard spots.

That works very well too... but don't use a styrofoam cup or your paint could end-up on the shop floor... along with a gooey blob of what used to be the bottom of the styrofoam cup.

I use about the bottom half of an aluminum pop can for a paint cup. They're plentiful here... and I just tear the top off with a Leatherman.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

That works very well too... but don't use a styrofoam cup or your paint could end-up on the shop floor... along with a gooey blob of what used to be the bottom of the styrofoam cup.

:thu: Yup, did that once a long time ago. Didn't take all thet long either;)

Archived