Whats the best live sound you have Heard

• Members

Lyle Lovett w/ Large band is another one I forgot about.

I cut my teeth working with David Grisman and others of this type/style almost 25 years ago and a good friend of mind played mando/violin with the band for almost 10 years. David was one of the San Francisco Bay area's best kept secrets until the re-collaboration with Jerry Garcia and the re-introduction of the Dawg-Grass style of fussion bluegrass that was embraced and developed by the likes of Darol Anger, Mike Marshall, David Balachrisnian (sp?) and bands like Psychograss and DGQ. Clean sound with excellent arrangements that allowed the band to work and sound like a cohesive unit was what made these shows fun and very easy to mix.

• Members

Originally posted by Black Frog

Tom Petty this year at Summerfest in Milwaukee. Best live sound I've ever heard- anywhere. It was so good, I got tickets to see the same show the next night.
:)

Does he still sing into an SM57 live?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by flanc

Does he still sing into an SM57 live?

Last time I saw Tom Petty... I'm pretty sure he was singing through an SM57... of-course that was back in about 1978... in a dumpy underground bar in Sandpoint, ID.

so... has anybody seen Boo Boo Davis live? If so, is he as good live as his canned stuff?

• Members

I cut my teeth working with David Grisman and others of this type/style almost 25 years ago and a good friend of mind played mando/violin with the band for almost 10 years. David was one of the San Francisco Bay area's best kept secrets until the re-collaboration with Jerry Garcia and the re-introduction of the Dawg-Grass style of fussion bluegrass that was embraced and developed by the likes of Darol Anger, Mike Marshall, David Balachrisnian (sp?) and bands like Psychograss and DGQ. Clean sound with excellent arrangements that allowed the band to work and sound like a cohesive unit was what made these shows fun and very easy to mix.

Not a bad guy to cut your teeth with I'd say. I did see the whole band almost lose an ear in Vermont from feedback one time. It was rather funnny, they all pulled out their ear pieces at the same time, right before a huge feedback squeal. It was a close call for them, as i'm sure their ear drums would have paid the price. Since you mentioned Jerry Garcia the Grateful Dead had and the Dead currently have a really awesome system. Very clear and very solid. Phil Lesh hit a bass note at Alpine Valley,IN in '01 that seriously almost knocked me over on the 5th row. You could feel it in your bones. Those guys still rock in their 60's.

• Members

The Dead were kind of the leaders in the "good sound" movement... from the wall of sound in the middle 70's to their collaboration with John Meyer, Jim Gamble, Harry McCune (very early on) and the folks at UltraSound and later Pro Media. All in all a very odd group of folks... odd in a brilliant and 4th dimension sort of way. There are stories I would like to tell but can't to protect the innocent. One of my early business partners used to fill in with DGQ and others within the collective genre (Darell Anger, Tony Rice, Rob Wasserman etc) and Joe Craven is a good friend of mine. I have worked with Joe over the past 20+ years on various personal music projects as well as with DGQ. Joe's melded the bluegrass w/ folk and calypso-ish rhythms in some pretty impressive music IMO. And he's a hell of a nice guy too!

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Anything with Robert Scoville mixing....he's a {censored}ing live God.

The best sounding show I've heard would prolly be Matchbox 20 at Northrup Auditorium in Minneapolis back when they were first playing larger theatres and clubs. If memory serves, Scoville was the BE for that tour. The sound was totally balanced and every little nuance was audible. Not too loud, not too quiet, just really clean and powerful.

Runner up would have to be Sarah McLaughlin a few years ago. Damn, that engineer had her vocals and piano down. And the verbs he was using (and he used a LOT) were almost not noticeable it was so well matched to the material and the source.

• Members

The Dead were kind of the leaders in the "good sound" movement... from the wall of sound in the middle 70's to their collaboration with John Meyer, Jim Gamble, Harry McCune (very early on) and the folks at UltraSound and later Pro Media. All in all a very odd group of folks... odd in a brilliant and 4th dimension sort of way. There are stories I would like to tell but can't to protect the innocent. One of my early business partners used to fill in with DGQ and others within the collective genre (Darell Anger, Tony Rice, Rob Wasserman etc) and Joe Craven is a good friend of mine. I have worked with Joe over the past 20+ years on various personal music projects as well as with DGQ. Joe's melded the bluegrass w/ folk and calypso-ish rhythms in some pretty impressive music IMO. And he's a hell of a nice guy too!

Yeah, from what I've read, they pretty much paid for the wall of sound out of their own pockets. The tours they did with it made absolutely no money. They were literally doing it for the sake of having such good sound. That can't last forever, but it does say something about their dedication to good sound. I love Joe Craven's music!!! Damn, I'm green with envy AH.

• Members

Originally posted by ryry215

Damn, I'm green with envy AH.

I'll let Joe know the next time he stops by. He's such a versitile musician, he also played with Rick Montgomery and others in a local "Latin fusion bluegrass clypso" band... very fun but devinately not easy listening music.

• Members

I'll let Joe know the next time he stops by. He's such a versitile musician, he also played with Rick Montgomery and others in a local "Latin fusion bluegrass clypso" band... very fun but devinately
not easy listening music

That's my favorite kind!

:D

Archived