Diagnose a power amp?

• Members

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this.

I have a Peavey PV2000 power amp (1000 watts per side at 2 ohms). I use this as a bass amp. I have never run it below 8ohms, I've never run it bridged and I have never turned of the DDT protection (I like all the safety I can get).

For several weeks I've only been running one side of it as a bass amp at rehearsals and two gigs. On deciding to run the other side of it last week I was suprised that I could't get any volume out.

One side works fine, the other is not quite dead but is very (unusably) quiet and distorts easily if turned up. I have tried both sides on various speakers with various inputs and it is definately a fault with the amplifier.

Anyone know what's going on and what it would take to fix? Is the other side likely to die as well?

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Can't tell from the symptoms, does the clip light flash also?

May be time for a quick trip to the service center.

The protection light doesn't come on (no clip light - but the same thing I think).

I've been thinking service centre myself - It's had a really good run without problems until now (something like 70 gigs and 100 rehearsals after getting it second hand) and it gets moved around a lot.

(also considering getting something lighter with a little less power - the peavey is massive).

• Members

Originally posted by moody

(also considering getting something lighter with a little less power - the peavey is massive).

Personally, I would recommend a QSC PLX series. Sized to your needs, of course. They are lightweight, and sound great (natural).

• Members

Originally posted by 6Imzadi

Personally, I would recommend a QSC PLX series. Sized to your needs, of course. They are lightweight, and sound great (natural).

I know the standard recommendations here. Unfortunately, the cheapest lowest power qsc plx sells for $1250 australian which I really can't justify at all (bigger better ones stretch all the way to $2500).

The Peavey cost me $550 aus second hand, and I can't even afford that much at the moment. I have two other power amps, an ancient ZPE dual 300watt at 4ohms and a yamaha p3200, however I don't trust the ZPE for running bass and the yamaha has some slightly loose connections (probably easier to fix than the peavey though).

I'm currently looking at these, all from a particular seller that I trust on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Zeck-PT5-Power-Amplifier-2-x-540W-into-4-Ohms_W0QQitemZ220042426976QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220044623295&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220043562477&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=220044623295&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

And when I need it I'll get an external crossover (using the peavey internal one at present).

Archived