separate monitor mixes

• Members

The main issues with regards to monitors are:

• said it is easier to setup, but I entirely disagree that it's inherently more consistant from place to place. On the contrary, different acoustics, different gear, different placement and spread of band members all makes a single mix as difficult to keep consistant, if not moreso. Not to mention variation of the level from amps onstage and their effect on the single mix. On any given day a particular player can hear things differently. With their own mix you can accomodate their mood or whim. With a single mix they become an unhappy camper who's sure the mix is all wrong, even if everyone else agrees it's good.

I'll take separate mixes every time I can get them, but I always make sure the act understands what is reasonable and optimum. "More Me" ain't gonna cut it if the house suffers as a result of sound wars.

I go for a minimum of two mixes for a typical band, preferably 3 - 4. On tour I never had anything less than 8 mixes and often some of those were stereo mixes.

• Members

Always used 2. One for the frontmen (singer, guitar, bass) and one for the drummer. The drummer usually needs to hear different things, like more bass and vocals. Plus, you usually need to turn the drummers monitors a lot louder than I would want then play guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by GigMan

Why on earth would you need to put electric guitar in monitors - they're so freakin' loud coming out of their own stage amps (which can usually be heard all over the stage) to begin with...

Of course, I'm a keyboard player
:rolleyes::D
- your mileage may vary, especially if you're a guitarist...
:freak:

I think most drummers would disagree with you, once they start playing hard, you can't hear a dam thing.

• Members
Originally posted by BlueHeaven

I think most drummers would disagree with you, once they start playing hard, you can't hear a dam thing.

Ok, perhaps THAT is a good example of where a separate mix (having extra guitar in it) is needed: for drummers.

But reall though: most guitarists in rock bands I've worked with are so freakin' loud they can be heard all over the place on stage - even by the drummer. :rolleyes:

Archived