Quickie EQ solution for monitor mix?

• Members

Would it be OK to route Aux sends (pre fade) via balanced 1/4 patch cords into a channel (say 15 and 16 on my Soundcraft FX16 as we have two unique monitor mixes) to tweak my monitors' highs and mids? I'd then run each channel panned hard left and right out to the Sub Outs.

There are times and certain rooms where this would be useful but not a big enough problem to add yet another piece of equipment to the rack. Obviously I have to watch feeding back signal into the sends but why else is this a bad (or good) idea?

• Members

Channel strip EQs are too wide to be of any use. Feedback tends to be particular frequencies (rather than a broad 'area' in the spectrum), so you'd end up losing a whole lot more than you bargained for.

It might work if you had fully parametric EQ, which I'm pretty sure the FX16 doesn't.

Maybe you could use your method as a basic HPF...

AS

• Members

I've done that trick before when feedback wasn't an issue but I needed a little tone control. On the Mackie I used to own some years ago I'd take the aux send into a channel then direct out of that channel. You know what's a cool sound? When you forget to check if the same aux send is up on the recieving channel :D

• Members

Originally posted by witesol

I've done that trick before when feedback wasn't an issue but I needed a little tone control. On the Mackie I used to own some years ago I'd take the aux send into a channel then direct out of that channel. You know what's a cool sound? When you forget to check if the same aux send is up on the recieving channel
:D

yeah - tone control. I HATE a flat, boomy or tinny monitor mix. Sometimes I'd like to be able to tweak it if its really bad.

• Members

We use the same desk and do exactly that for our monitors. We use the direct out jack from channel 15&16 as these are post fader. Watch out if you use the inbuilt effects, we kept flooding our mons with reverb till we sussed it out (but we are beginners).

• Members

Originally posted by roguefly

We use the same desk and do exactly that for our monitors. We use the direct out jack from channel 15&16 as these are post fader. Watch out if you use the inbuilt effects, we kept flooding our mons with reverb till we sussed it out (but we are beginners).

ahh...forgot the direct out was post fade. Saves us from using the sub outs. Thanks buddy.

Archived