Running signal through the 'same' speaker

• Members

I'm trying to figure out if this will work. I'm a bass player in an originals band.

I have a 45 minute gig this Saturday, reasonably big venue, vocal only PA so the backline has to sound pretty decent.

In this sort of situation, I would normally run a pretty big bass rig biamped with a crossover (1x15 mid range front loaded, 1x15 sub folded horn) and it would sound great for the situation. (using the sub allows the lower part of the signal to shine through so that I'm not overpowering the guitars to be heard).

However, the power amp that I would normally use for this is stuffed - one side is not working and I use the internal crossover from it.

I am considering running full range to each speaker through one side of the amp. I know this is a no no in general... BUT... the two 15" cabinets I use both actually have the same drivers in them. The only differrence between the sub and the mid range is the shape and size of the cabinet.

Opinions - will this work?? I'm not expecting quite as good as the normal bi-amping - but I want opinions on what it will do to my signal.

(on another topic, I'm also vaguely considering running the kick lightly through the bass rig - opinions?).

• Members

It will work, maybe not very smooth sounding though. There is a path length issue causing delay between the two cabinets that is purely mechanical-acoustic. This will result in some comb filtering in the spectrum that both cabinets share. You can't hurt anything though, so go ahead and try it.

• Members

I tried it and it sounded pretty good as a home setup.

Turned up at the gig with 3 hours to spare, unloaded the smaller speaker cab and drove the other one back home so that it wouldn't be stolen out of my van.

Smallest venue I've played in a long time. One single 15 cab was overkill even without pa support (a drumkit was overkill in this venue).

Archived