Best headset mic for drummer?

• Members

I have an old AT condenser headset that I bought about 15 years ago. I believe it's an ATM73. It still works, but gets an incredible amount of bleed from the drums/cymbals.

I was curious what headsets you guys have had success with for a singing drummer. Is there anything more unidirectional? I know there will be bleed simply because of the db levelof drums, I'd just like to reduce it as much as possible.

Thanks!

Chris

• Members

I'll second the Crown Cm311.

If your drummer desires more low-profile, the Countryman Isomax is very nice, but expensive and somewhat fragile (I've had one repaired...not cheap).

(midway down the page)

http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/mics/countryman/countryman.html

For a budget mic that is a significant step down from the two above, but still decent, the AT Pro 8Hex mic is not at all bad.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-PRO-8HEx-Headset-Mic?sku=270420&src=3WFRWXX

• Members

If that's the same AT headset that I had to deal with from a drummer last summer, don't bother. Had to EQ the heck out of it... and then the promoter, a guy who didn't seem like he knew much about audio, still said "hey, that mic sounds terrible!".

Hmmm...I have one and it's certainly not a lead-vocalist mic, but it's far from terrible. You probably had crappy pre-amps ;) . (lame attempt at insider forum humor)

• Members

Another vote for the Crown CM311A.

It's element design uses sound coming in from the front of the element to cancel out sound from other directions, a differential cardiod design.

Plus I really like the belt pack's silent on/off button (internal 3 position dip switched) AND the onboard 9vdc Phantom power (since my band's mixer's phantom is crapped).

Boomerweps

• Members

That does it I am leaving here. Not one more word about my crappy mic pre amp units... I could only afford $800 each and so that is what I got. I admit that I can not hear any difference when i use them, but how is that any of anyone else's business? Oh man.

Archived