Which IEM ear buds?

• Members
Probably a good idea to edit that post to be more specific about what fits. The post where you stated "they are all interchangeable" would lead one to believe "all" means "all".
;)

All does mean all. It just means all that I referred to in the previous post ;) . If you come into any discussion like this, pick out a single post, and ignore previously referenced material, you usually end with less than desirable results.

Post edited anyway, though.

Les

• Members

It's all good guys. I also initially understood "all" as referring to "all", and not just the original post, and I was about to respond, but Craig beat me to it. Sometimes I'll type something that makes no sense, and forget to reference earlier posts, no problem.

I'm glad I went with the audiologist, but if funds were tight, I would possibly try the self-mold route, especially being so cheap. But I'd be very careful, since I've heard many warnings. Let us know how it works out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

How does the M-Audio IE-30 and Ultimate Ears compare to any of the other buds mentioned here so far? If I spend the money to upgrade mine I would think it would make sense to get dual driver buds. Also, where can I get some information on the UM2 buds?

• Members

Thought Id add my 2 cents as always.
I am an audiologist, so ofcourse I say the molds we are trained to make as audiologists are better. It pretty hard to match the seal of a good mold made right.
Heres the deal, I look in your ear, determine if anything is blocking my way. I inspect the canal walls and look for anything else of interest in between me and your eardrum. I also look at the integrity of your eardrum. We also talk a bit about your hearing history.
Next I usually take a hearing test. Ever so important to understand where your hearing is TODAY.
Then I place an otoblock at the second bend of your earcanal. This is where isolation occurs best because this is where your ear goes from skin and cartilage, to skin and bone. This means no movement of the skin to ensure the best possible seal even with facial movements.
I then have the patient open their mouth wide, as wide as you can. I want big seal at the second bend. When my impression material, which has now been mixed and is being inserted via a impression syringe, reaches the aperture of the canal I ask the patient to move and make faces like you do when you play guitar/sing/drum/ etc.
Then my material hardens and I carefully remove so as not to put pressure on the eardrum, I dont want suction, its terribly uncomfortable.
Viola! Ear impression.
No more mystery...but you cant do it all yourself. If you dont look in the ear, I mean really look..you could push wax into your eardrum restricting the mobility of your drum. Resulting in either a doctors visit or flushing the ear yourself.
Oh and if you think you can stick it deep enough into the earcanal... YOU DO NOT WANT ANYTHING ADHERING TO THE EARDRUM...remember the otoblock...guess what else it does? Yup, you could yank that sucker right outta there.

• Members

Also a word on earbuds. The basic answer about sound quality is what does it sound like to you. Not always easy to get your hands on some to try but that is the best way. Ill send you tips and if someone you know has a pair of E3/4/5 LISTEN to them. If you live around indiana Id be pleased to let you listen to the entire SHURE line. They work with me and provide me with demos.

Just know what you have speaker wise and if it isolates you well. Speakers are either dynamic or balanced armature. The E2 is dynamic. The rest E3 and up are balanced armature. Sensaphonics has this new Hybrid driver in its 3D ambient system. Its pretty cool. I dont like triple drivers due to the SPL in your earcanal at low volume levels. And I am not a fan of "ported" earmonitors to accomodate the guy who wants ambient. You cant control the outside volume with them, you can only reduce it by a static number (one level). Whatever you do to overcome the ambient/isolation issue PLEASE WEAR BOTH EARS AT ALL TIMES

Archived