Silent band rehearsal solution?

• Members

Man, that'll be a very difficult transition to a live gig.

Not really they got the ideal from my home studio when I recorded their demo I just used a headphone amp and cans so they could record with more of a live feel. All they were missing was the crowd.

• Members

practicing quitely. bring way more control over your dynamics as a performer and a band and inevitbly will play a part in your performance, its ideal for everyone to try... but try not to think of this as a norm, think of it asa tool to better yourself as a musician.. I rehearsed in a live band with acoustic drums and live amps at extremly low level to find flaws in our performanaces and compositions. also gives more control and understanding to the vocal for his performance.

• Members

practicing quitely. bring way more control over your dynamics as a performer and a band and inevitbly will play a part in your performance, its ideal for everyone to try... but try not to think of this as a norm, think of it asa tool to better yourself as a musician.. I rehearsed in a live band with acoustic drums and live amps at extremly low level to find flaws in our performanaces and compositions. also gives more control and understanding to the vocal for his performance.

I agree with what you're saying, but if you're in a metal band and you want to practice in an apartment at 2 AM it won't keep the cops away. My band is going to keep a V-Kit, 2 pods, a bass DI, and a few vocal mics set up in a spare room in our practice space so we can wrap up 'real' practice @ 10 pm and switch to 'get wasted and have fun screwing around' practice.

Are the amp and drum sims going to sound 'real'? heck no. Will they sound useable and good? Arguably yes. Is it better than having the police at your door every time you have a midnight band practice? absolutely.

I say, go with the silent practice/recording setup. Whether it sounds 'great' is up to you. You probably won't want to use anything you record this way as something to put on a CD to sell, but it can give you a lot of practice making something less than ideal sound good.

Archived