Anyone familiar with...

• Members

often heard on these forums is the creed 'Buy Once, Cry once' which is more than just some folks trying to tell you that they don't like the gear, chances are if some of the folks here recommend against it, for no reason at all, it's because it isn't worth spending time on. Unless you buy your gear at pawn shops, you should have seen a fair number of spec-sheets that are available on most manufacturers web sites, if you look at the cost-specs difference between the pro gear and the cheap gear, you'll see where the wool is being pulled very quickly.

A Ferrari costs more than a Hyundai, and it will go faster, there is a direct correlation between cost and performance (plus the Ferrari will turn heads and generally has a higher standard that is expected of it). just because we aren't actually talking cars doesn't change that.

If you are gigging for free, they can take it WYSIWYG. If I ever had a person complain when I was doing a free gig, I'd pack up my stuff and let whatever good cause I was tryig to help finish their event with no sound, they must not want it afterall. I know this is not the professional approach, but if you aren't getting paid for it, the last thing anyone should do is complain. I used to do gigs for free, I know where you are coming from, I saved up my money and bought better gear, then I started charging. No one wants to pay you for using 'DJ' gear in a Sound Reinforcement situation.

• Members
Well, this is the first powered speaker I've seen that publishes a 1W @1m sensitivity spec:

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/PPHP1596A/detail.asp

:rolleyes:

So, the 1w/1m dB rating is valid for a non-powered speaker's efficiency but not a powered mixer's speaker efficiency?
As an amatuer I would not think the power to the speaker would make any difference in determining the efficiency rating of the speaker that power is driving. I always thought a person should go for the highest efficiency one can find and if the rating on a powered mixer is nonsense how do we know if that, say, 350 watt rated powered speaker is anywhere close to efficient if that speaker efficiensy rating is not in there?
Please elaborate.

• Members

This is what caught my eye.

I don't normally need or use a stage monitor but maybe once or twice a year get into a place one would help. The specs didn't look all that bad. I mdf construction doesn't concern me that much because the unit would spend most of its' time on a shelf in the garage and the price seemed to be right.

Now, I have't checked anything used to this point and I know that's an alternative and I wasn't doing a search, I just happened to run across the Pyle stuff and saw that monitor.

Archived