Vocal Mic?

• Members

I find that after singing through a Sennheiser e835, or even an SM57, that on many (most?) singers, a 58 sounds like singing through wet blankets.

I love my Sennheiser e835. It is bright and detailed without being harsh.

That said... I recorded one singer whose voice worked WAY better with an SM58 than with my large diaphragm condensor.

Chris

• Members

Our worship facility has wireless Beta 87A mics that I personally prefer. They have some wired SM58's and SM57's, and I can get by with either the 58's or the 87's, but the 87's are superior in just about every way. They can handle more gain, they have more clarity, and sound alot better without any EQ to my ears. The glory of it all:

We all have our own preferences.

• Members

The B87A is not a good choice for a stage with a lit of drums, cymbols, percussion and/or loud monitors in a confined space. They tend to pick up a lot of bleed and reflections, especially when/if the singer steps away from the mic.

I would start out with the B-58/B57 and see how that works first.

• Members

I have a SM 58, and a Beta 58, and a Beta 87A. There are differences, and if I flat out A/B them, I can notice them... but in the end, it just sounds like me. None of them are bad... they are all good mics. I mostly use the Beta 58, just to keep it simple, and not need phantom power. I have heard a lot of people say that the Beta 57 is a great vocal mic... I would like to get one to see how they are. I bet they are good too.

Archived