Sound Improvement?

• Members

Is this the device you are speaking of?

Would I be able to do the 2 output thing with this card because it has main out RCA jacks and a 1/8" Headphone Out.

Please Comment.

Yup..

It has two inputs and two outputs. So, if you need two inputs and two outputs, plus a headphone output, then it would work for you and give you better quality than most internal sound cards.

• Members

Is that all you're wanting to do though - have two output sources with the same signal; or are you saying you want to independently listen through headphones to one track while another is playing through the same laptop?

If the latter is what your looking for, it's going to take the right software to do it, and two independent soundcards. I personally don't know of such software, but I would guess there has to be something designed for DJ's that could accomplish this.

Agehorse - I'm having a hard time with the statement that there is "virtually no difference". A headphone jack has to have a small amp involved, right? While a line-out is a fixed low voltage signal? I won't pretend to know the electrical make-up of it, but I can tell you the difference I heard could be noticed by the most amateur set of ears...

• Members

Is that all you're wanting to do though - have two output sources with the same signal; or are you saying you want to independently listen through headphones to one track while another is playing through the same laptop?

If the latter is what your looking for, it's going to take the right software to do it, and two independent soundcards. I personally don't know of such software, but I would guess there has to be something designed for DJ's that could accomplish this.

I am indeed trying to do the latter of the two options you mentioned - I want to be able to cue up another song through my headphones while another track is playing through the main outs. I already have software that will allow me to do this, Virtual DJ. The software will allow me to cue up the second deck while the first plays over the main outs. I am just not sure what sound card to get to do this. Would the Behringer one work for this? If not, could someone recommend an option that would work but is not extremely expensive?

• Members

Okay, well I just spent some time messing around with my software and found that I basically have 2 options. My first option would be that I can split my stereo output into 2 mono channels and use the left channel for cueing and the right channel for the main out. My second option would be that I can use 2 soundcards - I would use my computer's internal sound card for the headphones and an external soundcard (such as the American Audio or Behringer) for the main out.

Which of these options would be the best way to go? Would I be okay just using my headphone out for now and splitting the signal into 2 mono channels? Would anybody notice a difference between mono and stereo? Is it worth spending the $40 to have RCA dual outputs?

Any input is appreciated.

• Members

Agehorse - I'm having a hard time with the statement that there is "virtually no difference". A headphone jack has to have a small amp involved, right? While a line-out is a fixed low voltage signal? I won't pretend to know the electrical make-up of it, but I can tell you the difference I heard could be noticed by the most amateur set of ears...

Many line drivers will drive high impedance phones, such as the 5532 and the new THAT line driver, plus the whole slew of class D line drivers. The difference is how the output circuit is implimented on the IC, but I have used a 5532 for a headphone driver, reverb send transduced driver and have used it a LOT as an output line driver to drive balanced lines (needs two sections obviously) over long distances. A well implimented amplifier that can drive headphones (generally I mean phones >50 ohms) will also make a very fine line driver since the output impedance will be very low in both cases. There are no extra parts, just a well chosen one. The line out is generally not fixed, but is adjustable just like a headphone output (though you may not see it, it may be hidden or not implimented at other than 100%.

On sound cards, especially laptops, you will see a whole slew of new class D line driver/headphone driver IC's that are now available from National and TI.

• Members

Okay, well I just spent some time messing around with my software and found that I basically have 2 options. My first option would be that I can split my stereo output into 2 mono channels and use the left channel for cueing and the right channel for the main out. My second option would be that I can use 2 soundcards - I would use my computer's internal sound card for the headphones and an external soundcard (such as the American Audio or Behringer) for the main out.

Which of these options would be the best way to go? Would I be okay just using my headphone out for now and splitting the signal into 2 mono channels? Would anybody notice a difference between mono and stereo? Is it worth spending the $40 to have RCA dual outputs?

Any input is appreciated.

Archived