• Members

yay-some pics!

amphitheater1.jpg

the amphitheater

series5stage.jpg

indoor sanctuary stage

amprack.jpg

the amp rack

in efforts to save money our power amps are capable of feeding either the indoor PA speakers or the outdoor amphitheater system

drivepatch.jpg

drive patch--

this is the normal config; from sanctuary FOH to amps.

to convert, swap connector from indoor sanctuary drive to amphitheater drive

speakerpatch.jpg

the speaker patch--

final conversion step is swap amp output connector from sanctuary speakers over to the amphitheater speakers

we only need to power the monitors and the subs outdoors due to purchasing the self powered turbosounds (we were going to get passive turbosound mains but there was a major ordering delay and as a gesture of goodwill they offered us the immediately available powered mains for a fraction of their costs---which makes our portable system really portable!)

• Members

system1.jpg

here's the portable system--4 turbosound mains and 2 eaw subs and the FOH rolling rack which houses the fx/eqs/dsp/console all in one tidy box.

racksnake.jpg

close up of rack, piles of manuals, my can of liquid courage, plus the modular snake head which is great to store indoors with the rack, versus a traditional hardwired snake head left exposed to the elements outside in the stage vault, which is woefully prone to moisture.

turbos.jpg

the mighty turbosound mains....i left a DI in the shot for size reference

dead58.jpg

oh this was a cute discovery while scouring through the school gear...gotta love high schoolers and audio gear.

either someone used it as a prybar or chucked it off a skyscraper cause i've never even considered a 58 being breakable across the casing like that!:eek:

• Members

update:

service went GREAT!

subs sounded very uniform and punchy, without being too disemboweling, and the turbosound mains seemed much more relaxed and warm as well.

never once did the limiter on the internal amps on the turbo speakers light up, the main outputs of the ashly dsp were not even close to running into limiting, but the sub outs were dinging the limiter ceiling here and there.

the only niggle i had was the problem i still hear in most line array systems as well....when you are directly in the center focus of the speakers pattern, you really get blasted by a little too much hi freq SPL

i walked the house at a jonny lang concert running v-dosc line arrays for mains and there was a sliver of an area about 2-3 seats wide that even at approx. 50 feet from stage was a lazer of sonic pain.

same happened at a soul sirkus concert at the galaxy theater in santa ana california, running the qcs wide line array, except the mix was bad enough that there was some extreme limiting crushing all frequencies together into one uniform ball of soup lambasting the ears.

although i have heard that system sounding great for a rippingtons concert and again for an eric johnson show, leading me to believe someone may not have walked the room during the soul sirkus soundcheck nor understood the system fully.

finally, there was a church in chino hills, ca that had recently been outfitted with a monster line array system and it was again very much daggars of fire in the focus of the speakers.

our sunrise service:

sunriseservice.jpg

pretty surprising how much coverage we get from those little boxes that look more like floor wedges than mains!

thanks again for the help here live sound gurus!

Archived