experiences with yamaha EMX512sc and cab suggestions?

• Members

Brand new to the forum and was searching the archives for this but with no luck. So 2 questions for the seasoned forum members.

1) any experiences (good or bad) with the new yamaha EMX512SC?

I have already bought one based on the specs to use for smaller inside and outside gigs of a 4 piece classic rock band. Just curious if anyone else has them and what they have found. I compared it to the peavey, mackie and also the alesis/behringer stuff and just thought it offered alot of features for the $$$ and is lightweight which is handy for toting around.

2) I currently use some older peavey 12" cabs HCII series and they are waay underrated for the new amp so i need new cabs pronto. Am shopping the usual choices but my budget really would be best to keep around 400 for the pair so hoping to get something half decent in that price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer and love the forum btw.

• Members

I have the EMX-512 and it's awesome! We use this mixer in small club's and this is how we run it, I run half the amp for my tops EV-SX500s the other half for my Cerwin Vega earthquake Jr's, And make no mistake it really has ball's!! I use a external passive choke for the sub's so it let's the sub's do what they do best and I don't have to bring a X-over or my huge rack of amp's and effect's this little amp is unbeliveable. As far as the Mackie it was more than I could afford and at the time the Peavey wasen't avail. But from what most everyone on this site say's you wont notice the small differance in power between the two. For speaker's if the place is really tiny we put 2 Yamaha club series 15's on a stick and forget the sub's. Oh just a note we use powered moitor's. Good Luck!:thu:

• Members

thanks for the comments. I was looking at the yamaha speakers and read good things about the club series but new they will be out of my price range. might check for a used pair. Is it just a dream to think I could go with the plastic enclosure speakers? I was hoping to have an extra lightweight setup and those plastic shells are nice and light. I asked the guy at the local shop and he said bass in all the plastic shell cabs sucks and subs would be a must. He was pushing me towards the JBL or yamaha club series as good mid priced stuff. If I held off another couple weeks, I could probably spend $500 or maybe a little more. Think it is smarter to wait a bit more and if i do, who has the best prices on new stuff? Any good mailorder sources out there?

thanks in advance.

• CMS Author

thanks for the comments. I was looking at the yamaha speakers and read good things about the club series but new they will be out of my price range. might check for a used pair. Is it just a dream to think I could go with the plastic enclosure speakers? I was hoping to have an extra lightweight setup and those plastic shells are nice and light. I asked the guy at the local shop and he said bass in all the plastic shell cabs sucks and subs would be a must. He was pushing me towards the JBL or yamaha club series as good mid priced stuff. If I held off another couple weeks, I could probably spend $500 or maybe a little more. Think it is smarter to wait a bit more and if i do, who has the best prices on new stuff? Any good mailorder sources out there?

thanks in advance.

It's definitely a good idea to get the best possible speakers. Being able to move up from the bottom of the barrel is absolutely worth waiting. I'm not saying the Peavey are bad...for the money they are one of the few offerings that don't suck.

• Members

As I said before we use the Yamaha club 15s on a pole for the tiny room's. They really match up well with the EMX-512, we picked them up at a pawn shop 150.00 for the pair I couldn't say no to that price. Craig V makes a good point the one place you dont want to go cheap is on F.O.H. speaker's Good luck in your search!:) :)

• Members

When I told my friend that I wanted to use the box mixer with sub's he asked me if they had internal passive crossovers? They didn't so rather than open up each sub and put them in he made 2 small passive crossovers that we can use with any sub that dosen't have one, the crossovers he made are only about the size of a pack of cigarettes. So I plug one side of the box mixer into one EV-SX-500 from there I use a 4ft. speaker cord and go to the sub by doing this I get the most power out of the box mixer it senses a 4ohm load instead of 8ohm. So each side of the EMX-512 is giving 500 watts per side! Old rock I hope you see this as this is how we use the box mixer not the way I described earlier sorry for the confusion, I was in a hurry.:thu:

• Members

So each side of the EMX-512 is giving 500 watts per side!

I am very interested in how the passive crossover has worked for you.

I know passive crossovers rob power, and I understand that a low pass, passive crossover in the 100Hz range or below is especially power robbing. With the EMX512 only providing 500 watts at 4 ohms, I am wondering how much power is actually getting to your sub.

Don't get me wrong! If it works for you, then GREAT! I'm just curious.

• Members

I know passive crossovers rob power, and I understand that a low pass, passive crossover in the 100Hz range or below is especially power robbing. With the EMX512 only providing 500 watts at 4 ohms, I am wondering how much power is actually getting to your sub.

get out your calculators.

I bet Andy or boomer can provide a pretty accurate guess...

:thu:

• Members

Your missing the point this system work's great for the small venue's where we can't use the big system. So what if it does take a bit of power, at least you can use the sub's and it's better to have them than not and it's a very small drop in power. By the way it's a 150Hz choke.

• Members

Your missing the point

No - I'm not missing the point at all. Read my post. I said:

Don't get me wrong! If it works for you, then GREAT! I'm just curious.

I am glad it works for you! However, I was, and still remain curious as to how much power is lost due to a low pass, passive crossover.

• Members

No problem, the EMX-512 delivers 500 watt's per side at 4 ohms plenty of power for small club's. Sorry didn't take you wrong but you didn't know the EMX-512 has 1000 watt's, yes if it only had 500 watt's the set up I use would not be very effective.:thu:

• Members

No problem, the EMX-512 delivers 500 watt's per side at 4 ohms plenty of power for small club's. Sorry didn't take you wrong but you didn't know the EMX-512 has 1000 watt's, yes if it only had 500 watt's the set up I use would not be very effective.
:thu:

You are assuming alot through this thread. :) :) :)

I actually own a EMX-512 as part of my B system, so I do know it has (2) 500 watt (at 4 ohm) amps in it.

I have never questioned the power, or your setup. I am most certainly happy it works for you.

We do occasional small shows. I recently bough two EV ZX1's (which btw I am quite impressed with) which will be used as mains (yes - I know what I am doing) for my B rig, and floor monitors for my A rig. In fact, many of our smaller shows, where we are backed into a corner, I position one main slightly towards us, and forgo the floor monitors. Jeeezzzz.. In my neck of the woods, many blues bands don't even run floor monitors.

I have two JBL Mpro418 subs powered by a QSC PLXII 3102 for the A rig. I do like, even at the small shows, a bit of ummppfff from the kick and upright bass. So I am actually considering doing EXACTLY what you are doing. So not only do I fully support you, I may very well copy you.

I still remain curious about the passive crossover question.

• Members

Timmcallister, Here's what he did he got the passive crossover's from part's express and instead of installing them inside the sub's he built 2 small boxes for each crossover each small box has 2 1/4in jack's so i just run a speaker cord from the top speaker to the crossover box and then another speaker cord from the crossover box to the sub by doing this I didn't have to open up the sub and mess with any wiring:)

• Members

I'm fairly happy with my 512. I just had to bring it onto shop as the first channel was acting up. Waiting four weeks for parts, so I called Yamaha and they said they would send me a brand new one. :p

I don't know if I would run 2 cabs and a sub off it though...reading that here makes me wonder. Usually I have a pair of JBL mp415's that I run in stereo from the mixer and a JBL 2-15" sub that I drive with an RMX1450.

All in all, it's a killer little mixer for 22 pounds...

• CMS Author

Don, you should note that with the arrangement you're using, the EV's are getting a full-range signal. This means that below the low pass choke's cutoff, the amp is "seeing" both the sub and the EV's driver. If you've got both sides of the stage plugged into one amp, that's a 2-ohm load at the sub frequencies. It also means the sub is getting half the power it would if the system was crossed before the EV's.

• Members

I don't know if I would run 2 cabs and a sub off it though...reading that here makes me wonder. Usually I have a pair of JBL mp415's that I run in stereo from the mixer and a JBL 2-15" sub that I drive with an RMX1450.

I bought the EMX512 for a B rig. 1/2 our gigs (where the house doesn't have a PA) are small enough that I can cover them with the EMX512 and two EV ZX1's. As stated before, I just point one of the ZX1s kinda toward the band, and it gives me (vocals) and the sax player all the monitor we need. Makes for a mighty small/compact/light B rig :)

Sometimes (heck - all the time) it would be nice to add a little ommppff on the bottom, so i am now considering running a single MP418, feeding it a full 500 watts from the second channel. As the whole point of the B rig is small and compact, I don't want to haul along my QSC PLX to power the sub. So maybe this will work. Due to the fact you can't insert anything between the mixer and the powe amp, I am stuck sending a full range signal to the sub, unless I can find/build a passive crossover (rated at 500 watts) that I can insert between the amp and the sub.

I don't have high expectations, but at the same time, I don't have great needs. We are not a loud band, nor do we need to blast the room or crowd. So this might work for me. Trying it out will tell, and there is always the A rig! :thu:

• Members

One more time, The EMX-512 is rated 500watts per side at 4ohms. and each cab i'm using is 8ohm so when I go from one half of the mixer to the top and from the top to the choke, and then to the sub, the amp see's a 4ohm load. I dont see how the power amp could see a 2ohm load unless you think i'm running both side's off 1/2 of the power amp and the other side of the amp for monitor's. But that's not how it is run, 1/2 for one EV-SX-500 and one sub,and the other 1/2 of the power amp for the other EV-SX-500 and sub. I have done this for over a year with no issues, and it sound's great I hope this makes sense. The reason I bought this mixer was so I could still use sub's in the smaller club's, and this box mixer does that very well!;)

• Members

I'm fairly happy with my 512. I just had to bring it onto shop as the first channel was acting up. Waiting four weeks for parts, so I called Yamaha and they said they would send me a brand new one.
:p

I've bought 4 yamaha powered mixers over the past couple of years and had that happen on one, took it back and they exchanged it.Now I check in the store before I leave and if the FCL light is on with nothing plugged in the channel is probably bad.Even found a display model doing this and when checked the channel was bad.I guess it's a manufacturing mishap because I have never had an issue after checking for this.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys. I won't be running subs as cashflow is kinda tight at the moment. I debated going for the cheaper yamaha PA but decided I would rather have more power than I need than end up upgrading a few months later. I'm now thinking I should take the same route with the speakers and go for the S series yamahas. Seems like very well rated and not too terrible cost wise.

I'd love to find a good deal on some used ones but will probably end up going new unless I happen to find a deal on a used pair soon. I did see one of the mailorder has blem S112V speakers for $239. Think that is a good deal and would that work at least for the near term for a 4 piece that does mainly classic rock stuff in small venues of maybe up to 100 people? Or should I hold out for the SV115s? Looked like the cheapest I saw the 15s for new was $329 so if I went that route, I could go with the JBL JRX115 for $309 and save a little $$.

Thoughts?

• Members

One more thing, in the meantime while I wait to get ungraded speakers, I want to use the new PA for band practice. My existing speakers are Peavey112HCII speakers and do not have a rated RMS on them. I was told they handle 100 watts RMS but not sure about that. Anyone happen to know what the RMS on those cheapie Peavey speakers might be? If they are 100RMS and you can generally assume speakers will handle 2x RMS safety... Am I correct to assume if I have the PA set for main + monitor mode and hook both speakers up to the main channel that they are each receiving 250 watts or less? (main channel = 500watts and I am sending it to 2 speakers so 250 watts each). Just making sure I am figuring it right since it has been 20 years since I messed with PA stuff and I have forgotten alot in that time.

• Members

While the 12's aren't a bad choice with the 15's you can put a little kick drum and bass in the mix. And since there are 4 of you and your not sure if your going to get sub's if it were me i'd go with the Yamaha SV115 speaker's, I use them and for the money there a great value and by turning on the YS processing switch on the EMX-512 it compensates for the lack of sub's by giving extra bass to the speakers. :thu:

Archived