Opinions on BSS Audio AR-133 DI box

• Members

I am looking to get this BSS Audio AR-133 DI box. I would like to get this since it has an XLR in that I can use with my Taylor ES Guitar.

The Taylor ES comes with a TRS to XLR cable and when I am not at my Church or do not have my acoustic amp I have trouble with the sound. Using the provided cable with the Taylor ES it is very sensitive and creates a loud hum/buzz sound. But if i use a regular instrument cable I don't have any issue. The TRS to XLR cable provides the highest gain and the best sound. I am looking to plug it straight into the mixer and preferably using the provided cable.

This is the only DI box I found with an XLR in. What are your thoughts on this DI? Are they any other alternative connections to solve this Taylor ES issue?

• Members

If it does, how do I get around that?

Isolation transformer, 1:1 ratio unless the guitar puts out line level which in that case I would suggest something around 6:1 to keep the levels to the mixer down a bit. This is NOT the same as a common mic to line transformer as the wiring would be reversed for the needed use.

• Members

Don't know for sure. Generally, I prefer the simplest solution for isolating phantom power, and that's a proper transformer.

You might call Taylor and ask them how this problem has been successfully addressed by others.

Archived