Harman to be sold....

• Members

Note that the majority of their business is in the consumer/car audio (for OEM) and consumer/car video products. I'll bet that's 75% or more of the business.

Yep,... from the article:

One former Harman executive speaking on background pointed out that KKR historically hangs on to very little of its acquisition portfolio
and that as good as the pro group

• Members

Wow, that could be interesting. What if they sell off the pro audio division and Loud buys it. All we need is Chinese BSS and Soundcraft
:rolleyes:

Well, at least Loud is a pro audio company. That's more than can be said for the buyout capitalists involved here. You'll see that EAW is still producing what is considered desirable gear.

BTW, there's already lots of Chinese BSS & Soundcraft products. I suspect buyout or no, there will be even more in the future.

• Members

Well, at least Loud is a pro audio company. That's more than can be said for the buyout capitalists involved here. You'll see that EAW is still producing what is considered desirable gear.

BTW, there's already lots of Chinese BSS & Soundcraft products. I suspect buyout or no, there will be even more in the future.

Yes, there are a few chinese soundcraft products like the spirit mixers. Not that they are anything like their Soundcraft larger siblings (not that I've been much of a soundcraft fan since their horrible power supplies in the late 80's early 90's). BSS I'm not so sure about, maybe the Opal line, but I couldn't say about that for sure.

As for EAW, have you noticed how many pro audio companies have dropped EAW in favor of other systems in the past couple of years? They are still widely used, true, but as they are reaching their replacement age at some of the larger companies, it seems that a lot of the larger touring and rental companies are not replacing them with more EAW, it seems like I've been seeing a lot of formerly EAW houses now going with L Acoustic, EV, Martin, Meyer, and Nexo. Part of that could be that the other companies that I've mentioned are making some damn fine systems these days. But how much of that is because of the shifting of production to asia? I haven't seen anything from Mackie that inspires my confidence since they moved to China either.

• Members

Yes, there are a few chinese soundcraft products like the spirit mixers. Not that they are anything like their Soundcraft larger siblings (not that I've been much of a soundcraft fan since their horrible power supplies in the late 80's early 90's). BSS I'm not so sure about, maybe the Opal line, but I couldn't say about that for sure.

Yes, products in the Opal line.

As for EAW, have you noticed how many pro audio companies have dropped EAW in favor of other systems in the past couple of years? They are still widely used, true, but as they are reaching their replacement age at some of the larger companies, it seems that a lot of the larger touring and rental companies are not replacing them with more EAW, it seems like I've been seeing a lot of formerly EAW houses now going with L Acoustic, EV, Martin, Meyer, and Nexo. Part of that could be that the other companies that I've mentioned are making some damn fine systems these days. But how much of that is because of the shifting of production to asia? I haven't seen anything from Mackie that inspires my confidence since they moved to China either.

Yup, there's a lot more competition than there used to be. In fact, that's what has driven a lot of the lower end production to China. I don't expect the trend to reverse any time soon. That's especially true for companies like Harman or Loud, whose size dictates they must reach a much broader market than more focused (and smaller) companies.

• Members

i heard a rumour a few years a go that Goldman Sachs was selling FMIC but it ended like this;

June 9, 2004

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) announced today that, contrary to recent reports, the musical instrument manufacturer is not for sale.

"As you may be aware, an article has recently appeared in a number of financial publications in which there is reference made to the potential sale of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation," said Bill Schultz, chairman and chief executive officer of FMIC. "I want to make sure that you hear this straight from me; this article is completely erroneous, and FMIC is not for sale."

But I did catch wind that Bill Schultz sold all his shares off before passing.

• Members

The Harman group may be in for some rough waters soon. This sounds eerily familar to the restructuring at the LOUD camp. As the weaker brands are shelved and or sold off, the centralized managment/executive levels will become overweighted. Product dev./ Quality control will suffer due to the bottom line.

To many Chiefs... will wreak havok the pro division.

Archived