• Members

I noticed that the vocal forum is almost two years old, and has become a discussion on country music?

Anyway I would like your honest assessment of my singing. This is a youtube link.

This is a hard song for me to sing and play over, and I recorded it straight into the computer with a webcam camera, and laptop mic. So the vocals come out as very loud sometimes, and guitar is low. This was before I knew there was a way to lower the threshold frequency.

Please be completely honest, and make your comments on anything, the singing, volume, recording, playing, intonation, etc. Anything you say, good or bad is appreciated.

Thank You

and of course, this forum is for everyone to post their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R30QgySpds4

• Members

I thought you sounded great. Very nice. Yes you shanked a few notes but who doesn't live? I think you sounded better on the quieter parts than the lounder pushed parts. You used a little too much throat vrs breath to hit the higher notes. (easy to do)

Not that you asked, but the timing stumbled throughout.

Anyhow though, I thought the overall performance was great. Nice job!

• Members

Thanks.

Using too much throat is something I need to work on. I want to take lessons this summer maybe. Although, I was trying to keep the volume as low as possible because the webcam mic distorts at high volumes, so that may be a reason, since the breath voice can get really loud.

Thanks for the comments though. I know that most people I've asked don't like the voice. I'm trying to find out whether my voice is unlistenable, or just not for everybody.

• Members

Nicely done. Yes there are a few clam notes, but as VSpaceBoy says, that's to be expected when doin' it live. It does seem to be a difficult song to play and sing, and also to hit the dynamics. I think you do a really good job. On the high notes, just relax, hear them in your head first and let them happen. You are hitting them just fine most of the time, especially once you are into the song and have hit them once or twice already. Just trust yourself. That will release your throat more.

As for our discussion of country music, there is something to be learned in discussing all types of music regardless of whether you actually like the style or not, so bear with us. And PM some of us if you really want feedback. Often I hold back for a while to see what other folks say b/c it seems that often I'm the only one who comments, and that kinda makes me feel bad because the thread is for everyone.

Overall, I think you have a good quality to your voice (and that is coming through despite the mic quality & distortion issues). Don't try to sound like anyone else, please... And if you decide to take lessons, choose carefully. Find someone who will bring out the YOU in your voice, not someone who wants to turn you into something else. I will be happy to recommend some materials that you can buy to get started, or just to use to supplement lessons.

Good job!!! :thu:

Oh yeah, and who the heck is saying your voice is unlistenable?? If you want to hear unlistenable, I have to recommend Nellie Furtado, who sings through her damn nose. UGH - completely obnoxious - and SOMEONE in her camp should know better even if she doesn't. Now THAT is completely unlistenable, and unforgivable. You - are fine.

• Members

SoulHitchHiker,

I really appreciate the comments. I'm interested in those materials you were talking about. Link me or whatever and I will check them out.

I don't know why I decided to choose that song to showcase my voice. I do want to record some more, basic acoustic/voice stuff, just for the hell of it. I was getting a little discouraged because I put the link on many other threads and I noticed a lot of people viewed them, but very few commented. Same goes for the original youtube link.

I didn't mean anything bad about the country music comment. Just trying to make an excuse to make my own thread.

Once again, I really appreciate the comments, and suggestions.

Archived