Farting speakers???

• Members

I have some Yamaha speakers that are giving me trouble. They used to work fine, but I made the mistake of lending my sound system out for a charity event that I couldn't attend. The guy that ran the system didn't know what he was doing, and it wouldn't surprise me if he clipped my speakers all night. When I turn the volume up to a decent level I get high frequency crackle. I think it's the horn. I'm running a pair of 15 inch Club V's through one channel of a Yamaha P5000s amp. The volume knob on the amp is at about 1 o'clock. I figure that means about 300 watts to the pair, which should not be a problem.

My Club series II 15" monitors are another story. I bought them used and they sound like crap. I can't get any kind of volume before I get high end, crackly distortion. Again, I think it's the horn. I know that at least one of the speakers was damaged during shipping (I had to replace one of the woofers). I don't know if my problem is that the horns are damaged or that I'm driving them too hard. At any rate, they sound terrible and don't give me the volume I need.

What should I do? I am reluctant to take these to a technician because I'm afraid they'll charge me an arm and a leg just to take a listen and tell me I need to replace the horn. Where can I buy a replacement horn? Also, would it be possible to upgrade the monitors with woofers/horns that are capable of handling more power? (The monitors are only rated at 100 Watts, which isn't enough for me)

• Members

First of all, turn the sensitivity control on the amps all the way up. Next, play back a CD while watching the clip indicator on the amp and on the console channel. Be sure that you aren't overdriving the console channel's input (if so reduce the channel's input gain or trim control, and as long as the amp's clip light is not flashing you shouldn't hear any distortion. If you do, you need to replace the diaphram in the horn driver. Should cost roughly $50 - $60 each for a tech to do this for you.

Knob position on a power amp has nothing to do with power output, it controls the sensitivity, or amount of drive signal required to reasch full power.

• Members

Well, sounds like you've got some bad speakers. 1st off, the yamaha will put out well beyond 500w @ 8 ohms when clipped. AFAIK there is no limiter on this amp and it doesn't matter where your attenuaters are at you can still drive this amp to clipping (which is amazing since it takes +6V to reach clip, P7000 takes +8V).

The comp driver is the eminence PDS2000 or some part number similar (do a search) and can be easily replaced with a new diaphram for around 50 bucks. I'd have a tech do this the 1st time to see what it takes. Then as you lend out your gear more and more you can also do this on your own. As for the older yamaha drivers I don't know what to suggest, I doubt the part is available (aren't these piezos in the series IIs?). Anyway, you'll want to ask a tech who is familiar. See if they'll lend you some speakers for a free event...

p

(If I'm laying the sarcasm a bit thick it's because I believe we should be paid when renting gear out, especially to fundraising events. A quick story, a friend of mine went to a charity auction where the "in-house" sound person royally screwed the auction up. It cost them a LOT of money in the end. Now she's asking if I can do the same gig next year for... free. No, but I'd be happy to submit a bid like everyone else. I may be a few bux more than the in-house guy but we'll see who does better.)

Archived