Two TX systems with different crossovers...

• Members

So I was working on a new TX rig. Our old one has a driverack 260 (for highs, mids & lows) and a Y cable goes to a Rane x-over for the subs.

Recently, I got a Sabine NAV480 and carefully set all the filters and eq adjustments to the recommendations from Yorkville.

So I have two amp racks, with different crossovers. Would these two systems, otherwise identical (speakers & amps) perform poorly if used together? I'm afraid they would. Even if I made efforts to get them to match settings. What little I've learned about crossover filters and slopes have given me the impression that a small difference in the electrical signal can make a big difference to the acoustic signal.

In the warehouse they don't sound bad side by side, but they don't sound the same. What about the longer throw?

• Members

That's our current solution planned. There is the unfortunate expensive the connector(s) and cable.

That does mean that one amp rack is slave only, and can't be used independently. or does it? would I likely have grounding or signal issues if I wired the inputs from the nav480 in parallel to the inputs from the driverack? so I could use one, or the other? I haven't done that before.

• Members

This is a good example of why we standardize on such components. All of our amo racks work interchangably because they all use the same cabling and processing. It's a true modular concept. Each amp rack has the processing built in.

• Members

I very much want to do that... infact, I just assumed if this NAV480 worked out (which it shows signs of doing) we'd get two. But the fella with the dollars (and the abilty to say "no") says "no." He actually said "maybe later". But come on!

Anyway, I'm trying to come up with an in the mean time.

• Members

No, it's still stereo, but since you need a 4 way crossover then EACH DR260 operates one side of the stereo mix and itself operates in mono mode, each amp rack powers one side. This is common is larger systems where the processing is not at FOH.

Archived