What to do with a stockpile of blown drivers?

• Members

I've come across 5 Dayton 18's and 4 Dayton 15's all are blown, are these garbage, or should I do something with them? Maybe recone, cool paper weight, wall decor, new fridge magnets for my fingerpaintings, or dumpster fill? :idea: BTW, I've decided and have begun construction on cab's for 4 single Dayton 18's for those of you that read my other thread. I'll send pics soon. :wave:

Keith

PS I've also got a Peavey XT44? blown tweeter if thats worth anything.

• Members

First of all, whoever has a stockpile of plown drivers like that really needs to re-evaluate their powering strategy or has had some seriously unfortunate luck (not).

Depending on the model, they may be an Eminence part and any recone shop should be able to recone these to at least a stock Eminance part. The metalwork is all very similar but there are differences in cones, bobbins, dust caps, spiders etc that make the different models behave differently.

How did you end up with an XT44 sitting around outside of it's cabinet? A new diaphram is readily available.

• Members

I recently took over as the house sound engineer at a club (3 months ago) that does 3 bands every Friday and Saturday in one section and has a Dj in another section. The matching cabinet (I believe is a DT or DH244) with the XT44 driver is missing the driver completely and has been modified (read: hacked all to hell) inside and no longer supports the XT44. So I am stuck with 1. I've definitely got my work cut out for me, your eyes would bulge out of your head if you saw the equipment I have to work with. Last night I finally got around to setting the gain structure and limiters in the DJ booth, (starting to explain the stockpile). I could pink the amps to full clip and it looked like the compressor/limiter was asleep!

Mogwix, Parts Express is just down the street.

Keith

Archived