Live vocal compression and delay?

• Members

hi,

i want to put compression and delay on my vocals live. this is how i want to do it:

shure beta58a > audiobuddy mic pre > rnc compressor > behringer 8ch mixer, voc into ch 1 > ch1 fx send to digidelay pedal in > pedal out to channel 2 of the mixer > (ch 1 panned R and ch 2 panned L) mixer main outs (L, R 1/4") to house board.

will this work?

is there a better way to do this? this way the house has control over the delayed input as well as main vocal. i do alot of soft passages with alot of louder passages so i think a compressor is necessary to ensure people can hear the softer ones...

• Members

Sounds like it would work, but why pan left and right? You want effects in mono in most cases live, since 85% of the public will lose something if you do it stereo. If the board has Auxes, that could be used as well. Just remember, with a compressor on lead vocals, you are MUCH more prone to feedback, even at lower volumes.

• Members

well, panning left and right gives the house soundguy control over both the dry vocal (channel 1, L) and the delay vocal (channel 2, R), he would input both of those into his board mono on 2 separate channels...

• Members

Gotcha. I missed the part about out to house board.

well, panning left and right gives the house soundguy control over both the dry vocal (channel 1, L) and the delay vocal (channel 2, R), he would input both of those into his board mono on 2 separate channels...

Archived