back to my PR15 questions

• Members

continuing my saga....I replaced the burnt out bulb in my PR15 and all was right with the world. In the meantime, Aged Horse having pointed out that I am overpowering them with my XLS802D, I have been worrying about killing them. I noticed the other night that the "other" PR15 disn't seem to have the same high frequency performance. I popped the back off hoping to find another blown bulb, but no such luck. I took a ohmmeter and A/B'ed the 2 speakers at the outputs of the passive crossovers. The woofers matched at approx. 5.6 ohms. The horns didn't. The "good" one was abput 6 ohms (I think) and the "bad" one was about 1.2 ohms. I disconnected the leads to the horn and tried to get both hands in through the back to measure directly across the horn. If I got on the terminals correctly (not really sure....) I measured about 220Kohms. Like I say I'm not convinced this was a legitimate measurement though. Any thoughts? If I blew the horn I promise Aged Horse that: after repair I will run the 2 speakers mono off of one channel of the amp (800W into 4 ohms.....(2) PR15) instead of the current 500W into 8 ohms into (1) PR15.

Thanks,

Kirk

• Members

well I pulled the wires off the terminals of the horn and then "attempted" to get both hands, holding MM leads into the hole where the back panel is screwed. I only had a few minutes before I had to button it back up to hit the road, so no gaurantee i was on the horn terminals. it was all by feel.

Archived