Recommend Me A Quality Small Mixer or Portable Mic Pre

• Members

There are scads of single space rack mount mic pres available. Cannot think of any offhand that have effects in them though. I did a quick search for mic pre on Musiciansfriend and came up with 169 hits.

For 5 bills you can get into the high end stuff like Grace, Avalon, and Focusrite, but effects are another matter and you probably wouldn't want to color the sound with an MI grade nanoverb after buying a higher grade mic pre.

Look around at what is available, then you can narrow it down and let your ears do the walking.

HTH,

• Members

the 1202 and 1402 mackie boards do not suffer a lot of the issues that the larger mackies do. i have quite a number of 1202 and 1402 mixers in use at home and work and they are extremely reliable boards although not abundant in inputs.

dbx made a rackmount mic pre, others do too. what is your budjet?

seems like peavey has a small format mixer that is good and inexpensive (kinda ugly lookin' though :) )

• Members

I like the Peavey looks actually, was checking them out yesterday at GC(should have bought one..missed the rebate). The chassis are nice and rugged, I believe they have regular modular power cords, I hate wall warts on small mixers. The Soundcraft was mentioned by JRBLE, a nice choice. The Mackie VLZ3 looks fine too.

• Members

I have (or had, actually) an Alesis Multimix FX12 and found it to be really nice... quiet, very versatile and plenty of decent FX. Just more/larger mixer than I needed so I sold it with the intention of replacing it with a smaller Multimix FX8.

I've considered the Peavy as it gets really great reviews but it has no FX and I like more than 4 LED level meter.

Archived