optimize my speaker / power amp setup!

• Members

OK, there are so many combinations of running stereo, bridged, etc, that I can't decide how to use my amps the most effective way, so I'm asking you. I'll probably be running the system in mono.

AMPS:

NADY SPA2400

750W/ch @ 4 ohms, 1,400W @ 2 ohms. Bridged mono: 1,600W @ 8 ohms, 2,400W @ 4 ohms.

NADY SPA1400

500W/ch @ 4 ohms, 2x800W @ 2 ohms. Bridged mono: 1,000W @ 8 ohms, 1,400W @ 4 ohms.

2 x NADY XA900

400W/ch @ 2 ohms, 300W @ 4 ohms, 200W @ 8 ohms, 900W bridged mono @ 4 ohms

SPEAKERS

2 x JBL SF25 (2x15"+tweeter)

4ohm, 500W continuous, 1,000W peak

2 x Yamaha A15 (1x15"+tweeter)

8ohm, 400W program, 800W peak

2 x Yamaha SW218 (2x18" subs)

4ohm, 1200W program, 2400W peak

2 x Yamaha BR12 (12"+horn monitors)

8ohm, 300W program, 600W peak

1 x Peavy 12M (12"+horn montior)

8ohm, 500W program, 1000W peak

Before, we didnt have the Yami A15's, so we had the JBL's running off the SPA1400, the Yami subs off of the SPA2400, and the monitors off of the XA900s. The two yamaha monitors are for the stage front, same audio channel, so they could be bridged. Then the peavy is for the drums.

Any help appreciated. Nady comments not needed :p

• Members

A live rig for bands (rock).

I mentioned what I've been running, and there's been no issues thus far with that setup. I can understand adding the Yamaha A15's posing a power issue though. What would you recommend for the next purchase/upgrade, and what do you recommend I do for now?

• Members

Forget bridging. You shouldn't need bridged power for monitors, your main tops and subs are 4 ohm units, and while the NADY SPA series is fair for an inexpensive amp, I wouldn't push them that hard.

Bridging means more AC needed, more heat running through the power amps. Two 4 ohm cabinets paralleled means a 2 ohm load. A bridged load goes across both channel's positive speaker terminals and so each channel operates at HALF the load, i.e., ONE OHM per side. Receipe for JUST overheating and shutdown IF lucky.

If you wanted to go the bridged route, you would need one amp per 4 ohm cabinet. By the time you buy more amps, you would be better served by buying better, more efficient tops (subs are OK).

Boomerweps

• Members

I would start buying active boxes.......take a look at www.audioeast.com. Look at their PA package #4 and their monitor package #1. That is the kind of stuff I would recommend buying to replace your weakest link. If you had to replace something I would start with your tops. A set of Yorkville NX750P's would do the trick. They will run you about $1500 shipped from Audio East. Take the $1000 you have and sell your top boxes and power amps to cover the difference.

Archived